Play gameTrail of Lightning's itch.io page
Ranked from 6 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
- I know it can be tough to find the time do a project like this whilst working on other things, what I'd recommend doing is be honest with yourself about how much time you'll have to work on the project and aim to make a small thing in that time. It can be better to make a small polished slice of a game with room to grow, than making something bigger but that's incomplete.
- It feels like a proof of concept for the movement mechanic than an actual game. It is fun to click and watch the ball zoom around and the different camera angles are cool, but there is not much else to do. Having cool particle effects and sounds as the ball moves would add a lot, as well as some objects to collect or destroy. I think you can do a lot with this if you flush it out, but for a very early stage prototype it is good.
- While unfortunately you couldn't implement all of your ideas I'm pretty sure the implementation took quite a lot (specially if you worked on the path finding). There are a couple of small problems here and there: any key press is continuous so if I press Z to change the camera this tries to change every frame and looks horrible, same for space: you can reset the ball to the first position (of your chosen path) continuously. On the bright side the camera interpolation is nice! As an exercise you can do a step further: when the camera is following the ball try to create a spring algorithm, this should reduce a bit of jittering when following it. Another suggestion: you should separate the state of your game because you can add more points to the path while the ball is moving. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but this is another good exercise (prevent also the cleaning of those points and have Space do both Start and Stop). As I wrote there isn't much of a gameplay to review and therefore anything else to comment but bonus point of the nice picture of the cute lightning ball!
- I do not understand what is the game in this project. The A* works but that is the only feature of the game. Therefore is hard for me to evaluate this game with positive notes.
- I'll be honest, I couldn't work out what exactly I was supposed to do, outside of click to place a path, then press space to traverse it. You should nevertheless be proud of taking something and adding to it.
Sumo Digital Rising Star
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
CommentsNo one has posted a comment yet