This jam is now over. It ran from 2020-12-21 00:00:00 to 2021-01-31 23:59:59. View 11 entries
Spend an afternoon and make a flatgame!
You can use our fancy new unity plugin tool to do it, it uses your webcam and lets you add effects and lots of functions easily. Or you can also use any other program you like, ideally as long as the art is handmade.
The theme: A place you remember visiting when you were younger.
Sure, sounds cool. But what IS a flatgame??
1. Make a game about a real life place/moment.
2. Make all the art physically: markers, pen and paper, clay, found art, objects around the house, SOCKS! Perhaps give yourself a time and paper limit and stick to it. You can do a LOT in 1 hour! For animation, draw things twice! Think about how you can use the 2D canvas to represent time and space too!
3. Place the art into the game! The game should feature only movement and animation, with simple game mechanics.
4. Write your text/story/dialogue/sound effects and place it onto the world like art. Sound could be a single track of music, conversation, ambience. Try recording it yourself!
1. Something made with the Flatgame Maker
Flatgames are all about how exciting it is to move art across a screen, especially when you drew that art yourself.
Break the rules if you wanna (they're there to help), but stay true to the ethos!
If you want more inspiration, check out our previous jams here: