This jam is now over. It ran from 2017-12-19 13:50:56 to 2018-01-31 23:59:59. View 23 entries
Spend an afternoon and make a flatgame/flatcomic/collage
about some place you went or somewhere you spent time in 2017.
All you need to make a game is a couple of free hours, a computer, and some markers. c:
Hey all! We’re returning for another FLATJAM to take us into the new year.
Everyone can make interactive stories and art, so let's make some!
They can be funny, weird, sad, exciting, scary and everything in between or beyond.
If you've never made a Unity game check out the awesome tutorial by Siobhan Gibson.
The First-Timers' Guide to Making a Flatgame!
We also have a two unity templates to start from linked below, by Ragzouken, Siobhan Gibson and me:
- Basic Template (includes the two main scripts and a simple scene)
- Advanced Template (includes bonus scripts and examples of them)
Or if you want just the scripts:
- Basic Scripts
- Bonus Scripts
Feel free to use tools other than Unity, such as Construct 2.
This year we're hoping to compile entries into a single playable compilation at the end hosted at flatgame.itch.io.
When submitting opt in/out as you like!
Okay, sounds cool. But what IS a flatgame??
1. Make a game about a memory.
2. Make all the art physically: markers, pen and paper, clay, found art, objects around the house, SOCKS!
Perhaps give yourself a time and paper limit and stick to it. You can do a LOT in 1 hour! For animation, draw things twice!
3. Place the art into the game! The game should feature only movement and animation; no further interaction or collision.
4. Write your text/story/dialogue/sound effects and place it onto the world like art.
5. Sound is a single track of music, conversation, ambience. Try recording it yourself!
And release it! Make lovely itch.io landing pages. Include images of your game and your materials!
Flatgames are all about presenting a game as the most raw and immediate combination of movement, art and sound. Think about how you can use the 2D canvas to represent time and space too!
That's it! Break the rules if you wanna (they're there to help), but stay true to the ethos!
(If you like after a set amount of time or through exploring, the game may loop, end or transition to another flatgame scene.)
Overground by Rosa Carbo-Mascarell
Cavern by Birdstare
Macaulay Dad 2016 by Kyle Reimergartin
Radiation Wave by sweeneezy
Text Your Crush: A Nightmare by ageoftheinsect
And I made sure to hold your head sideways by Jenny Jiao Hsia
Let's get the jam started! 8)
Flatjam poster by Liadh & all screenshots from Fireside Flatgames!
Send any questions/thoughts to me at email@example.com
All the best!
No submissions match your filter