Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ [Read Before Asking a Question] Sticky

A topic by bremea created May 01, 2020 Views: 466
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Host (7 edits) (+2)

Heyo! I've decided to make this list of frequently asked questions that we've gotten on Discord and through this community. Make sure you read this first to see if your question has already been answered. If you're still confused, contact us here or on Discord and we can help you out.

What is this?

This is a game jam. You have 60 hours to make a game from scratch, and you're only allowed to use the graphics we provide at the start of the jam (in the form of a tilesheet). Feel free to make whatever code or sound you'd like, but no new graphics can be created.

Can I use free assets?

Yes, any assets (besides art) that are free and available to everyone can be used.

What are the challenges?

The first challenge is to make your game stick to a grid. This means your game is split into a grid, and each cell are the same dimensions (ex 8x8, 16x16, 64x64, etc - sort of like an ascii game). The second challenge is to not have any graphics overlap at any point (again, like an ascii game). Jam hosts will judge the winners of the challenges.

What about sound?

You can use/make whatever sound you'd like for your game.

Is scaling allowed?

Yes, but you aren't allowed to change the aspect ratio of the provided graphics (This means no stretching). Remember, all tiles must be the same size.

Is there a theme?

No, you just have to use the tilesheet we give you. There is no required theme.

Where is the tilesheet?

The tilesheet will be available to download as soon as the jam starts under the "tilesheet" section of the jam page.

Can I add colors?

Each tile must only have two colors. The main graphic is one, and the background is the other. Note: colors are in the form of RGB, so only and only complete transparency is allowed (no translucent colors).

Can I rotate the tiles?

Yes, but only by 90 degrees.

What about text?

No text can be made, sorry.

What about splash screens?

You can make custom splash screens, but only if its your logo/logo for your game engine. For example, lets say your team is called Cheese Entertainment. You can have the Cheese Entertainment logo on your splash screen, and if your game engine requires their logo, you can add that too. If you'd like, you can add the Bitter Jam logo to your splash screen as well.