Welcome to the OGA Game Jam #2!
After the success of the first 'OGA Game Jam' last year. It's back again this year. We see some great games made by not only the OGA community, but other talented indie developers as well making use of the great assets available on OpenGameArt.org. So lets make some more!
You can check out last years entries here: https://itch.io/jam/opengame-art-game-jam
This game jam is about creating games using assets from OpenGameArt.org.
Since 2009 the community at OGA have been creating assets and submitting them for developers to download at no cost. The site has a huge database of artwork, music, and sound effects for 2D and 3D games, from sprites to tile sets, textures, backgrounds, and everything between, all for free!
Lets see what great games you can make with these great assets!
Playability * Music * Sound * Story/Narrative * Artwork * Overall
Bonus Voting Criteria
Every few weeks OGA hosts an 'Art Challenge' based on a theme selected by community member Dannorder/Medicinestorm. You could choose to base your game on the 'Theme' or include the assets created for the 'Art Challenge', or maybe both. If you do, there are 2 extra voting categories to boost your ratings!
* Theme * Art Challenge
OGA Favourite (new)
As well as your games being rated here to declare a winner, this year, the 'OGA Favourite' vote has been introduced. This means that the OGA community members can vote on their personal favourite game of the jam. So if you don't win the jam itself, you could win this instead. Or you never know, you could do the double and win both! ( votes are cast by private messaging me on OGA website, 1 vote per member)
1) You can use ANY game engine/software you desire, as long has you have the license/permissions to do so. Gamemaker, Unity, Java, HTML, scratch etc, or even you own created engine if you like. But no actual coding/programming until the start of the jam. Story boarding, editing, modifying, creating, locating your game assets for you project is absolutely fine. :)
2) You MUST use a minimum of 6 Game Assets from OpenGameArt.org. (You can use other assets aswell, so long as you have the rights/permissions to use.) If you are unable to find anything suitable for your project on OGA, you can create your own assets, but you should upload them to OGA website BEFORE the end of the jam so they can be considered as part of the 6 asset rule. By doing so you are also contributing to a great community, and we would love to see it.
3) You must credit the Author of the assets used, even if it's not required by the license. (Because this is nice thing to do)
- Please ensure you follow the license/s correctly for the assets you use. (for full details click on the asset license link)
- Tip: All downloads and favourites are saved in your OGA account for easy use. You can also create a 'Collection'. Add assets you use to this and it will give you a complete 'Credits' file that you can download.
- Derivatives: If the license permits you to create a derivative work of an asset, then you still need to credit the original author, and if you do, then please share it on OGA, it would be cool to see it and have it available for others to use.
4) You must have a 'Credits' menu at the title screen/start of your game with a list of all the' OGA' assets you have used in your game with appropriate links.
5) Game must not promote any sort of discrimination (such as racism, sexism etc) or political agendas, nothing that could cause offence. This jam is open to all ages. Games that have violence, horror and/or gore, I would ask that you provide some sort of warning before hand to protect younger audiences. That includes Soundtracks/voices. (I leave that for you to decide what's appropriate) :)
6) Have fun! (That's right, it's a rule)
There are no prizes for the winner, or OGA favourite. Just the thrill of taking part! It's worth mentioning that this Game Jam has no affiliation with OpenGameArt itself, and has been put together as some of its members thought it would be good to have a Game Jam.
Themes from previous Art Challenges are here with links:
And the assets created for them can be found here in this link:
Good luck everyone who participate! The OGA community is excited to see what you create with the assets available! :)
Massive thank you to Scott Matott(Capbros) for designing and creating the OGA banner art for the jam. check this link to see which OGA assets he used to create it! BannerArt