Create original games, demos, homebrews tools and music for the original Game Boy / Game Boy Color and compete for glory (and a lot of prizes)!
Current prize pool:
Head over https://gbdev.io/gbcompo21 for the complete rule set, details and resources to get started!
This competition is about making software that can run on actual game boy hardware.
- The final deliverable must consist of a GB or GBC ROM file.
- GBC features are allowed
- SGB features are allowed (but don't rely on them)
- You can use RGBDS (ASM), GBDK (C), ZGB (C), GB Studio, or anything that produces a valid ROM.
Entries will compete in 4 separate categories:
- Best game - (5 awarded and additional open source bonus for the top 3)
- Best homebrew / tool - (1 awarded, running on a GB/GBC)
- Best music cartridge - (1 awarded)
- Best demoscene style demo - (1 awarded)
See the github page for complete details and rules.
Your work must be new and original:
- Examples of things that are allowed:
- A brand new game using your own (or any) existing game engine
- A remake of your (or someone else's) game for a different platform, but with new code and assets
- A brand new game you barely started (e.g. you only made a title screen or a mockup of the gameplay)
- Asset packs for art and music are ok if the licensing permits. Make note of what is being reused and under what terms
- Examples of things that are not allowed:
- A project you've been working on for months
- An update/patch for a game you already released publicly
- ROM Hacks
- NSFW content