Let's make tools!
Inspired by the Mini LD Tool Jams (
Mini LD #3 & Mini LD #51), I want to help this happen again.
The concept is simple: Make a tool, that you or another person can use, that will help them make a game!
The rules are also simple:
- A tool can be anything
- Printable drawing templates
- Work method
- Really, anything!
- Make it available for others here on Itch.io in any form you like including
- Unity package
- Dynamically linked library (.dll)
- Again, anything!
- If someone, somewhere, can fit it into their game making process, then you win!
- You are allowed to work on a pre-existing tool (That level generator you wrote for 7DRL? Dust it off and give a polish!)
If you'd like to participate, but don't know what to use, then maybe consider one of these ideas (shamelessly
inspired by stolen from Mini LD #3 announcement):
- Map Editor (Tiles, Elements, Polygons)
- Data Editor (Numeric Data, Points and Polygons)
- Menu Editor
- Animation/Particle Effect Editor
- Font Editor/Builder
- Sound Effect Maker, VST Instrument (if sfxr isn't enough)
- A File Format (with loader and saver)
- A wrapper library, or generalized interface for several libraries (compression, image files, etc)
- A process for managing content (graphics, audio, maps, dialog/text/localization, etc)
- Write an article
- Crash course in a topic (physics, trees, sound synthesis, a programming language, etc)
Take care and have fun!