Voxelles, Sugar Gamers, and IGDA Chicago Present:
Spooky Game Jam 2017! Official Rules
Hosted by 2112 Inc. at 4245 N Knox Ave, Chicago, IL 60641
Supporters of diversity in technology, come celebrate a spooky game jam with the Voxelles, the Sugar Gamers, and IGDA Chicago! Developers of all abilities in the greater Chicago area will gather at 2112 Incubator of Creative Technology from October 20-21, 2017, to produce prototype digital games intended to promote the theme of the event. The theme will be announced at the start of the first night.
The event will start with an introduction reception at 7pm on Friday evening, followed by the jam that will end Saturday night. Food will be provided both days, followed by a showcase and final judging of the created games on Saturday evening. Participants will vote for the "People's Choice Award" and the "Spirit of the Jam Award."
We're allowing for an overnight session at our Spooky Game Jam for a total of 24 hours!
Game Jams foster new friendships, increase confidence, and highlight opportunities within the community. We want to encourage new members to build their first games.
This event is co-ed, and all people of all ages are welcome! Bring as many people as you want!
||Set Up: Volunteers prep and decorate.
||Keynote Presentation by organizer Sarah Sexton, Bacci's Pizza provided by IGDA Chicago
||Join Teams, Brainstorm ideas
||Breakfast provided by 2112 Inc.
||Lunch provided by IGDA Chicago
||Prepare Jam Projects for Submission: https://itch.io/jam/spooky-game-jam-2017
||Submit Completed Projects and Prepare for Playtesting!
||Playtesting and Voting!
||WINNERS ANNOUNCED! Award presentations!
||Closing Ceremony and Tear Down.
Everyone please pitch in and help clean up. Rearrange chairs and tables, and put table covers back on.
Organizers and Attendees
This Contract is between You, the Voxelles group, its organizers, members, associates and ensigns (collectively Voxelles), its sponsors and the Location of the game jam, (2112 Incubator of Creative Technology), located at 4245 N Knox Ave, in Chicago. The Contract covers your conduct, the Voxelles’, and Location’s (collectively Organizers) liabilities and responsibilities, and your willingness to be recorded at this event. The Game Jam is an event that will be held October 20-21, 2017.
Personal Conduct, Organizer Responsibilities, & Media Policy
- You agree to act in a way that supports community, collaboration, and innovation.
- You agree not to engage in racism, sexism, discrimination, or any kind of exclusion. You also agree not to engage in harassment, derogatory speech or actions, or any similar behaviors.
- You agree that You are exclusively responsible for your actions and their consequences, up to and including any injuries sustained during the Game Jam. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Voxelles, the Location, and all their agents and ensigns.
- You understand that the Location is a private work space, and will respect the Location and its contents as such. You agree to replace or pay for anything you break during the course of the Game Jam.
- You understand that admittance to and participation in the Game Jam is entirely at Organizer discretion.
- You agree to comply with all Organizer requests to change behavior or leave the location. You understand that failure to comply with such requests may result in your being removed from the Location or banned from future events.
- You understand that any prizes given out at the Game Jam are given entirely at the discretion of Organizers with no guarantees or warranties.
- You understand that teams collectively own all rights to the works they make during the Game Jam. Division of these rights is entirely at the discretion of team members. You give the Organizers a worldwide, fully paid, royalty free license to distribute and reproduce your game. Further, you relieve Organizers of any responsibility or liability related to the distribution of the game and the division of rights therein.
- The Location agrees to provide a reasonably secure space in which you can jam. The Organizers are not responsible for lost or stolen property, or any injury that occurs due to any reason other than Organizer negligence.
- The Organizers agree to provide food and drinks. You agree to release organizers from all liability regarding food issues, including but not limited to allergies and illness. Organizers will make reasonable efforts to accommodate food restrictions which are brought to their attention, but make no guarantee that such restrictions will be accommodated.
- The Organizers agree to handle any negative, discriminatory, or racist behaviors brought to their attention. You understand that the outcome of Organizer intervention may not necessarily be ideal or complete. You release Organizers from liability for the actions, behaviors, and words of other participants or individuals present at the Game Jam.
- The Organizers acknowledge that they are not formally affiliated, partners, or any other legal entity. You understand that each Organizer is responsible for his or her own behavior individually. You agree to release the Organizers from liability for the actions of individuals affiliated with the Organizers.
- The Organizers agree not to share your information for advertising purposes.
- The Organizers can be contacted at: https://SpookyJam.slack.com
- You agree that a copy of your game, or anything else you produce during the jam, may, but not must, be distributed.
- You agree that Organizers may record you during the Game Jam. This includes film, photography, voice recording, and any other reasonable recording mechanism. You understand that you may not have the right to approve recordings prior to their distribution.
- You agree that recordings may be distributed. You acknowledge that while reports and recordings of the Game Jam will make reasonable efforts to ensure completeness and accuracy, mistakes might be made. You understand that if you discover mistakes, it is your right to bring these to the attention to Organizers. You release Organizers from any liability related to recordings or reports.
- You can choose to form a team of 1-4 people or participate individually.
- Next, follow the instructions to participate, which will involve creating and presenting a video game based on the theme of the event.
- Your entry must be your own original work; and
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- Your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents, or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law.
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
Winner Selection and Prizes
At the close of the event, two (2) projects will be selected on Saturday evening. The below requirements will be used as judging elements to determine a winner:
- People’s Choice Award: Entries will be voted on and ranked by both submitters and contributors to submissions.
- Spirit of the Jam Award: The organizers will choose one game to highlight as the spirit of the jam.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional organizer will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the organizers are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
- An Amazon Gift Card valuing $10.00 for each team member (up to 6 total).
- A Steam Gift Card valuing $20.00 for each team member (up to 4 total).
We will only award one (1) prize per person during the Entry Period.
Winners will be announced onsite. If you are not onsite during the announcement of the winners, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.