Join us for our first TheEpicLaunch jam! To participate, just create a single-page single level game that uses shaking as an input method.
TheEpicLaunch aims to encourage game developers to create original games that can be hosted in the TheEpicLaunch app. You have one week to develop a 30-second game, your choice of theme, for the chance to win cash prizes.
- There is also TheEpicLaunch forum in Discord where you can get help form our support team and meet other game developers.
The mechanics are quite straightforward:
- The game can be about anything as long as it is fairly family-friendly (no nsfw content, no excessive gore/violence, no offensive content).
- You can work alone or in a team of any size you wish. Only one team member needs to register for the jam and will submit the final game at the end of the jam.
- Submission for the contest has to be original and based mostly on something developed during the contest period. Using pre-existing assets that were created prior to the contest is allowed.
- Games must be submitted by the deadline (Midnight PST, December 19th 2018) The submission should include the game source code and all required files such as graphics and sound files to qualify for cash prizes.
- The game has to be lightweight (preferred executable file size is 3MB or less, though maximum file size can be up to 8MB) and must be playable in browser without having to download anything.
- The micro-game should be in HTML5 format and should not require installation of any game engine but may use game development frameworks (e.g. Construct, CreateJS, etc.).
- Judges will only be required to evaluate a game for the first 30 seconds if it passes the screening stage. Any game over 30 seconds will be judged only on its first 30 seconds.
- Portrait orientation is preferred over landscape.
- Use assets that you either own or have permission to use (don't use copyrighted material).
- Contest Judges have the right to penalize or disqualify a submission for reasons including, but not limited to, the violation of the above rules or for any form of cheating (e.g. plagiarism, paid rating). Judges decisions are final.
The games will be evaluated by the judges based on:
- High replayability
This measures whether a player will play the game repeatedly. This can be because of the level of fun or other methods for getting players hooked in the gameplay.
- Originality and creativity
The gameplay or story has to be original or a unique combination of existing gameplay and mechanics.
- Game Polishing
This includes quality of game development and use of visual art, music, and sound effects that convey the story and/or gameplay to the player in the most visually-appealing and enjoyable manner. However, be mindful that the entire game should be lightweight.
The amount of cash prizes will be based on the number of entries received during the contest period.
- 15+ entries: $150 for 1st Place, $100 for 2nd Place, $50 for 3rd place, $50 for People's Choice
- 30+ entries: $300 for 1st Place, $150 for 2nd Place, $100 for 3rd place, $100 for People's Choice
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be determined by a team of judges that will evaluate the games after the submission period is over. People's Choice will be determined by the public rating.
Judges may award consolation prizes amounting to $50 for non-winning games that may be considered for hosting in TheEpicLaunch app.
- Prizes will be delivered electronically via the email associated with the user who submitted the game. Winners will be responsible for all taxes and fees associated with their prize package. If working on a team, please discuss how prize winnings will be split before winners are announced to avoid potential legal issues. TheEpicLaunch team is not responsible for splitting prize money.
- No purchase necessary to participate in the contest. Must be at least 13 years of age to register and submit entries. Additional restrictions on age and nationality are subject to the contestant's local, state, and/or national laws.
- Creators retain all rights to their respective works. The contest sponsor (TheEpicLaunch) reserves the right to integrate and publish the game on its mobile platform. Creator shall perform the required source code changes to integrate and publish the game in TheEpicLaunch platform. This may include API integration and other minor modifications to ensure better adaptability and incorporation into TheEpicLaunch platform.
- TheEpicLaunch reserves publishing rights for up to 1 year for games that win 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place and People’s Choice.