Welcome to the Annual Atari Lynx Game Jam! Atari Gamer, in conjunction with Yastuna Games and Argon are bringing the 2021 edition of this jam to a Lynx near you!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make an Atari Lynx game within the next 23 days, to have fun and put a smile on players' faces. This is an unranked jam and we encourage collaboration and showing off your skills, but above all to have fun making a new game.
This year's theme is "Let's make something scary". So dig up your bodies, pull out the skeletons from the closet, unleash the monsters, spill some (pixelated) blood and maybe have a witch or two fly by. Let's make it the best scary game jam so far!
There are some rules still, it is a contest after all!
You must -
- Have fun ☺️
- Submit ROMs in the following formats: LNX, LYX and BLL O file (the LNX and LYX ROMs must run in an emulator as well as on real Lynx hardware)
- Not violate any copyrights or trademarks
Your game must -
- Follow the theme of this jam
- Be less than 32KB and not access the cart (this includes the boot loader)
- Not use EEPROM for saving
- Reference "LynxJam 2021" somewhere in your game e.g. title screen
- Be playable i.e. demos or broken submissions will be disqualified
We're not restricting you to any genres and you can make a port of a game from another system (or a homage to one), as long as the above rules are satisfied.
All submitted games will be put on a physical 'multi-cart', which will be released within 3 months of the end of the game jam. Every participant who submits a valid entry will be sent a free copy of this cart.
So lets get started and bring some new games to the Lynx!
How to submit...
Once the game jam starts, there will be a link at the top of this page to submit your entry. Please be sure to include the following in your entry:
- LNX, LYX and O BLL ROM files
- README file that states your game's name, description, how to play rules, and team members
- Screenshots of your game
We've created a discussion forum thread on AtariAge so you can talk about this game jam, ask any questions, and post preview screenshots of your game. The thread can be found here - https://atariage.com/forums/topic/326950-2021-atari-gamer-game-jam-coming-up/
We've documented a great deal of programming resources to help you get started with Atari Lynx coding. Whether you want to dip into 6502 assembly or write your game in C, we've got your back! If you're new to the Lynx, make sure to read the original documentation before you get started on other materials.
Atari Lynx Programming Resources
You should also pay attention to some of the online tools we've made available to make your job easier...
What are you waiting for, get coding and get Lynxing!
Brought to you by...
Terms and Conditions...
- You give Atari Gamer and competition organisers permission to publish your game on their website(s) in digital form and make use of screenshots, story and other content for promotional purposes (this is not automatically extended to making individual physical copies of your game for profit).
- You give Atari Gamer and competition organisers permission to have your game published on a physical 'multicart' which will include all submitted 'competition' ROMs for this game jam as long as this cart is sold 'at cost', with an appropriate amount allowed to be added on top for any labour involved in producing the cart.
- Competition organisers can enter the game jam as contestants.
- Any tools or assets can be used to create your game, and either C or Assembly is acceptable, you don't need to provide source code.
- Atari Gamer and competition organisers reserve the right to change this game jam's rules and terms and conditions at any moment. Contestants will be notified if/when there are any changes.