Welcome to The Fall All-OGA Game Jam! 2018
This game jam is about creating games using assets from OpenGameArt.org.
Since 2009 the community at OGA have been creating assets and submitting them for developers to download at no cost. The site has a huge database of artwork, music, and sound effects for 2D and 3D games, from sprites to tile sets, textures, backgrounds, and everything between, all for free!
Lets see what great games you can make with these great assets!
Gameplay * Graphics * Music * Sound * Story/Narrative * Polish * Overall
1) Game must be made from the start of the jam.
Planning ahead is ok. Sketches, design documents, paper level designs, and other general 'Pre-Production' steps are allowed before the jam starts. Searching for and collecting assets from OpenGameArt.org beforehand is also allowed. You may even work on expanding existing OGA art assets, or creating new ones as needed before the jam starts. However, any coding, protoyping, gameplay testing etc. in advance is not allowed.
2) All graphics, fonts, music and sound used in the game must be available on OpenGameArt.org or made available OpenGameArt.org by October 31, 2018 11:59 PM CST.
You are encouraged to use existing OGA assets as much as possible. However new works, derivatives, expansions, extensions, addendum, etc. are allowed so long as they are made available on OpenGameArt.org under one of the OGA supported licenses by October 31, 2018 11:59 PM (ie the close of the Jam).
If you do create new or derivative works, please share them back on OGA as quickly as feasible so as to be fair to other Jam participants.
3) You must credit the Author of the assets used, even if it's not required by the license.
You must do this via a 'Credits' menu on your title screen where you show a list.
Credits must include:
You must include a credit even if the asset is your own creation. This is necessary to show that the work is available on OpenGameArt.org.
You must also indicate if you have made modifications to the work.
Here's an example:
The following work was used in the creation of this game. Modifications were made.
Seasonal Platformer Tiles
* CC0 ( http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode )
If you have an account with OGA, OGA's 'Collections' feature can be used to create a 'Credits File' that includes this information for you.
If you distribute the game as a downloadable file collection (Zip archive or Installer EXE, etc.), please include a README or CREDITS text file that also includes a list of the assets used with the above information.
When modifying existing art, please be sure to share your derivatives back on OpenGameArt.org and provide a complete credit (name, title, URL, etc) for both the original work and your derivative work. Trivial derivatives (scaling, re-coloring, outlining) do not need to be shared back to OpenGameArt.org.
4) Logos, title screens and title music or sound effects related to a logo or game title are exempted from Rule #2 and Rule #3.
5) Game must not promote any sort of discrimination (such as racism, sexism etc) or political agendas.
6) Entries must be playable on a Windows 10 computer, either via a native executable (EXE file) or a web browser (HTML5, Unity Web plugin, etc). Builds for other platforms are welcome but not required. Entries requiring an account or sign-up for a third-party or other service(s) will be refused.
7) Have Fun!
The strictly optional theme of the Jam is :
*** Completing the Set ***
Entries aren't ranked on the theme so it's provided for inspirational purposes only and is entirely optional.
There are no prizes for the winner, just the thrill of taking part! It's worth mentioning that this Game Jam has no affiliation with OpenGameArt itself, and has been put together as some of its members thought it would be good to have a Game Jam.
If you have questions about licensing or using works hosted on OpenGameArt.org please consult the OpenGameArt.org FAQ ( https://opengameart.org/content/faq ).
And if you still have questions or concerns, don't by shy about asking for help on the OpenGameArt.org forums ( https://opengameart.org/forums/art-discussion ).
Good luck everyone who participates! The OGA community is excited to see what you create with the all the great assets available! :)
Thanks to Spring for creating the banner images.