Dungeon Crawler Jam 2021 is a game development challenge to make a first person grid based dungeon crawler game in just 7 days.
In this context a dungeon crawler is a grid based RPG viewed in first person and with 90 degree turning. Examples of classic dungeon crawlers are Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and Bard's Tale etc.
Examples on some smaller and more recent dungeon crawlers are Heroine Dusk, The Ogre King and Lands of Lorez.
Game specific rules:
- The game must have first-person exploration at all times. (See the above GIF). Exceptions are point to point overworld map movement (fast travel), combat screens or town screens.
- The game must have explorable locations. It doesn't have to be a dungeon in the traditional sense. It can be urban environments, outdoors, spaceship interiors, planetary surfaces etc. Whichever environment the game has it must be viewed and explored in first-person.
- The game must have instant step movement on a grid. Smooth transition between grid squares is allowed. Half-steps or dividing the square into smaller squares is not accepted.
- The game must have 90 degree turns in the cardinal directions, North, East, South, West. Smooth transition between 90 degree angles is allowed. Mouse-look is also allowed.
Games which let you turn 90 degrees up and down are also allowed.
- The game must have a player controlled character (or party of characters), or the abstraction of a character or persona.
- The game must at the very least have some basic stats. (Minimum a single health/power bar)
- The game must have a death/perish condition, or some other end-of-game mechanic.
- The game must have at least one way to affect character stat(s). Examples are resting, potions, items with bonuses, food, water, powerups etc.
- The game must have combat or a similar mechanic for determining outcome of certain situations, enemy encounters and events.
- Any theme is allowed, but keep it decent and safe for work!
- You can use any game engines, libraries, pre-existing code/algorithms, pre-existing art, etc.
- The game must be a new game project started and finished within the 7 day time frame, not just another week of work on an existing one.
- The goal is a finished and reasonably polished dungeon crawler; not a prototype, proof of concept or tech demo.
- The game must be free to download and play to the end. A commercial version of the game may of course be released after the jam ends, perhaps with added content and features.
It is recommended to be prepared and have a rough design idea of your project before starting.
If you want to team up with someone let it be known in the discussion board. There might already be someone there to team up with.
Join the dungeoncrawlers.org Discord for live discussion, brainstorming and recommendations for engines, tools, assets etc. to use when developing a dungeon crawler.
Use #dcjam2021 to share progress or tweet about your game :)
Winners will be determined by a combination of vote count, ratings, and judge's assessment, based on the criteria listed below.
- Originality - Does the game innovate or try something new?
- Graphics - Is the game aesthetically pleasing?
- Audio - Does the game have nice sfx and music?
- Gameplay - How fun is it to play?
- Technical - Is there a considerable technical achievement behind the making of this game?
The prize for winning entry is fame and glory but also $100 USD worth of games of your choice from on itch.io or gog.com. Teams will have to share the prize money among the members.
1st place gets a special role in the Discord server.
Everyone who submitted a game will get a "gamejammer" role in the Discord server.
All submitted games that adhere to the rules will be added to the dungeoncrawlers.org database.
Additional prizes courtesy of Home of the Underdogs and Silver Lemur Games:
Game submissions will be played and streamed on Twitch by Sinatar @ https://www.twitch.tv/sinatar
Have fun, be creative and try to think outside the box :)
Note: To avoid any misunderstandings I wan't to let you know that my own entry Kingdom of Yergoval will of course not be eligible for rewards should it come to that.