Welcome to the 9DBR Jam!
The theme for the jam is Boss Rush, this is a kind of game I've seen a bit more of recently. Boss rush style games
are basically games that focus next to entirely on Boss fights. While games might have boss fights in them, Boss
Rush games exclusively have boss fights(to some extent)
Some examples of what might be considered a "Boss
- Cuphead: Besides the very few and far between 'Run-n-gun' stages, Cuphead is mostly about the boss fights.
- Shadow of the Colossus: The game's only enemy are the giant collosi, which act as bosses.
- Titan Souls: The game is an adventure game that has many bosses
- Mike Tyson's Punchout: One on one fights with increasingly strong opponents
While some games have boss rush modes, these games focus the main gameplay around fighting bosses.
What Are the rules?
- All assets should be created inside the 9 Day window, Images, Music, Scripts, should all be written from
scratch with some exceptions:
- Engines are allowed, you don't need to write the engine from scratch(Examples: Unity, Unreal, Godot,
- Freely available assets are allowed, this includes images, music, and sound effects.
- Assets that are not created within the 9 Day Window(such as the above freely available ones) must be
noted in your game's description with links to the source
- The game mustn't be blatantly offensive. Use your best judgement.
- The game must be related to the theme! Unique implementation of the theme is great, but the game should
clearly show the theme.
- The game must be made in time time frame! The end time for the jam is a hard cutoff time, if there are
legitimate issues uploading or getting the game posted in time, message me on Twitter or Discord and I can work
out late submissions on a case by case basis.
- Have Fun!
Remember to scope, you have 9 days but you'd be surprised how quickly that goes by.
Take time away from the computer, one of the benefits of the 9 Day Jams are that there is time to breathe. Break when you feel you need it to prevent overworking!
The idea of jams is to get outside your comfort zone and try new things! Don't be affraid to try some new tricks or learn some new skills!
- Can I work with a team?
- Yeah go for it! That's what the Discord
is for! (Crowdforge coming soon)
- I'm in a team, can my team rate other games as well?
- Yes. Just make sure they're listed as Contributors on your game
- Why is the start and end times different?
- Though the jam is supposed to be EXACTLY 9 days, itch.io's jam system makes the time a hard stop, so we added a "submission window" to account for building the final jam versions, and getting them uploaded. We recognize that exporting/building games into releases can take time, and if you're building for more than 1 or 2 platforms, it can take even longer.