Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

PLease, dont use pirated game engines to do videogames, or in general pirated software.

A topic by black_shirt_programmer created Dec 28, 2023 Views: 184 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I had played some games and only downloaded other games, various games of the last group(only downloaded) have many virus alerts including alerts of trojans by the windows defender. 

I don't think that the games i had played were the cause of a blue screen of the dead during a virus analysis, i think was because i forget to analyze in virus total a compressed file before i decompressed it, file that have many trojan alerts. So stay alert. 

Luckily it was on other pc and not in this(really is not other pc, its that i had 2 SO's, linux and windows in to separate hard drives, but i have disable one of them with the bios, so the SO cant see the content of the other disk meanwhile i use it. But there is the risk of the malware infecting the firmware, but a very little, so i will be formatting that other disk that its now isolated(disabled by the bios))

Don't use pirated versions, by example of rpgmaker,  winrar, etc, because if you do it, you probably are distributing malware too in your game.

I'll be formatting the other pc, so I'll not be testing games. Good luck during the rest of the jam.

Submitted

Would Recommend every developer to put up web version of thier game if possible as it helps other to rate your games and also keep others safe 

Submitted (1 edit)

I agree with Zapzoop0099. If possible, make web versions of your games. Judging by the stats I see from my game and games with lower ratings - people are reluctant to download.
And viruses are one of the reasons for that.

Submitted

Why do you think you are more secure with web version? The game is still downloaded, and it can just as well have viruses. I often prefer download version because it can be higher quality, and yes it can have viruses like every thing else on the internet.

I have not seen any of virus alerts of trojan horses, but it's sadly possible there are some bad games. Most virus alerts I have seen is about the games is nearly never downloaded, and therefor it's not recommend by the browser to download them. They can of cause be bad games, but there is no way to know if they are good or bad.

Jam Host

Provide me a list of games with malware. It'll be best for everyone to have those games removed, even if the devs didn't intend on distributing malware.

Submitted(+1)

There are the possibility that they are false positives, but "The anvil section" is marked by windows defender like a trojan, and "un petit noel" have 3 alerts in virustotal, looks like a game made with game maker, so maybe be a pirated version,  that is a only a theory, nothing confirmed because i not put these games in some of the services to test malware. I had not execute any of the two executable. The game that i mentioned its "un petit noel", but like i says before, maybe they are false positives, the better way to see if they are malware its using services that can check what they do in the machine. Its really frustrating that there too many risk  to play games now.

Jam Host

Noted

Submitted

There are a way to see if some game its a false positive?

Jam Host

Not with 100% accuracy. Even the best anti-virus software may report false positives, but a software having more than one flags on virus total is a good indication of it actually being a virus (in my experience).

Submitted

Okay, i see, thanks.

Submitted(+1)

Yep JK5000, probably the web versions are same  dangerous as the executable versions, they can execute code too. I think its better to have a apart pc to play these type of games to be more safe, in my case i have practically 2 pc's but i use one, what i do its use to hard drives, linux in one and windows in the other, but i disable in the bios one of the hard drives depending what SO i need to use, so the cant read or do something in the other disk, but i dont download things from suspicious sources(except this time :/), and my way is not 100% secure, because if the malware go the the firmware, no matter the thing that i mentioned before, so what i mentioned before of formatting the other pc, i  refer to format the disk that is right now disabled by the bios, i must edit the post really... Sorry for the little lie. My dream its to have in the future a pc for work, other pc for games and other pc for things like games of game jams, emulation, etc(or have a pc that can run a VM).