Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions! Sticky

A topic by Lone Rabbit created Feb 13, 2022 Views: 616 Replies: 31
Viewing posts 1 to 11
HostSubmitted

Feel free to ask questions about the jam here!

Submitted

Hey! I'm having a hard time understanding the rules of crunchtime. Are we only allowed to have 48 hours to composed something, or are we able to use projects that we've been sitting on, or just haven't finished yet?

HostSubmitted(+1)

Hi! Yes, you're only allowed to have 48 hours to compose something, from scratch. But, as we can't know anyway if a submission is created from scratch or not, we advise that if you really want to start off from an existing project anyway, please make sure it is at least less than 30% finished as it wouldn’t be fair to other participants otherwise.

Hope this helps!

(1 edit)

I just wanted to ask quickly, if it's ok, if I just make one song, which is 6 - 8 minutes long and how am I going to submit it on itch? 

HostSubmitted

Yep, that’s absolutely fine! Here’s a guide on how to submit your project on itch!

Thanks!

Submitted

Hello, I have a completely DAWless setup because I'm a weenie and DAWs hate me. I'm unsure how to submit proof of it being an original composition. Would it be enough to record a video of me performing on my setup and uploading that to YouTube?

HostSubmitted

Yes, but may I ask what kind of setup this is? Do you write on sheet music instead or is it just full improvisation, etc?

Submitted

No sheet music or anything. I just kinda mess around on my synths and sequencer until I can piece together something that sounds decent and record it directly into a Zoom H4n Pro, nothing too fancy. I don't usually have any visual representation of my music. :|

HostSubmitted

Ah ok, well that's interesting! Then yeah I think a video of you performing in this case would be good enough!

Submitted

Great, thanks!

Submitted

Heya! I wanted to ask because I can't find it anywhere, but for the winners (or people chosen to be included in the jam release), is there some sort of revenue sharing for streams and Bandcamp sales? Curious how that all works :)

HostSubmitted

Hi! Yep there is, artists will get the majority split of the royalties coming from streams which will be paid out by the distributor we're using (either Soundrop or Ditto). We'll contact you with more info about this once you qualify.

Unfortunately there's no splitting system for Bandcamp yet, currently all the sales from there will go into the costs of distribution onto streaming services and keeping the jam alive.

Hope this answers your question!

Submitted

Yeah that makes sense, I appreciate the clarification! Might be useful to put that somewhere in the FAQ because it seems a little sketchy that the winners get put into distribution but no mention of streaming royalties :)

Submitted

Hi!

I have a fairly stupid question. I made my soundtrack using beepbox (because I could). Should I convert it to something more readable for more musically educated folk or it is ok to use their built-in song player and/or editor? It doesn't want to be exported as .mid, so I'm not even sure I can make it look any better.

HostSubmitted

It's ok to just screenshot the built-in editor ^^

Submitted

Thank you!

hey

how do i edit a submission

HostSubmitted

You can find your submission page by clicking the "submitted" icon next to your name here, there's a "edit your submission" button there!

Submitted

Hello

I noticed that the maximum length of the songs must not be above 10 minutes. Mine is 10 minutes and 23 seconds, do I have to change that or it is fine ?

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Hi! I'd say it's fine! As long as it's around 10 minutes ^^

Submitted

Darn, what if I forgot the screenshots? This was my first jam ever and I was in over my head, so pressed for time I totally spaced. Any chance I can send them somewhere now (/soon)?

Submitted

I just added them after the fact. None of the music was changed (as the time stamps should show), so hope that's OK!

HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi! Sorry for the late response, you can add them in the edit project page, on the right hand side there'll be an "add screenshots" button there!

Submitted

What do I do if there are no songs in my queue. How do I rate submissions?

Submitted

Same same. I could only rate one, and any other submissions shows me this message:

You can't rate this submission yet

This jam requires you to clear your rating queue before you can rate any submission you want. Please check your queue to see what submissions you can rate.

Submitted

Thank you for your reply but there are no submissions in my queue 

HostSubmitted

Hi! This is because you've selected a platform in the rating queue, and you cannot revert back. I have now disabled rating queue for those who submitted to avoid any further problems, so you should be able to rate submissions now, cheers!

Submitted

Thank you. This is fixed now, I can see all submissions. Much better :)

HostSubmitted

Hi! This is because you've selected a platform in the rating queue, and you cannot revert back. I have now disabled rating queue for those who submitted to avoid any further problems, so you should be able to rate submissions now, cheers!

Submitted

I don't see any submissions in my queue either :(

HostSubmitted(+1)