SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam reflection

A topic by Kuzzi created Feb 12, 2023 Views: 55
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted(+3)

February 12, 2023 - 2:55AM

I'm done. I'm finally done. I don't even know what to say right now I am in a state of pure "wow".

I never thought I'd actually get a finished product out, not to mention the fact that I am actually proud of what I made. This has been an incredible journey, and one I will never forget, being that it is my first experience actually coding outside of school.

Thank you to all that have followed my devlog, who have commented on anything, or have helped me through the MFGJ discord, I couldn't have kept going without this to motivate me. I also wanted to thank my friends who helped to playtest the game, along with my computer science teacher Mr. Petti for teaching me how to do this in the first place.

To just list some of the things I learned in this jam, I could probably write an entire essay. I'll condense it into a bullet-point list anyways somehow.

How to use controlP5 in processing

how to use HashMaps

How to add photos to processing

How to add and edit data in .json files

How to write and format code in .json files

How to add and edit data in .csv tables

HOW NOT TO USE CLASSES 

How to check for when a player lets go of a mouse button

How to use void keyPressed() effectively (thanks JC)

What the use of a constructor method is

How to create sequencing in menus in the least efficient way possible

How to create a graph that automatically updates depending on the data size

How to properly use temp variables

The importance of playtesting

and probably more I'm forgetting!

If you want to try the game, here is the link.

https://kuzzi.itch.io/brand-yourself

This has been one of the most fun and productive uses of my time I have EVER done. And I have something to show for it too now! (Take that geometry dash)

Again, thank you to all that have stuck around throughout this process, I'm not sure if this is the end but you never know.

Signing off,

Brady