Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Which Course?

A topic by Draakslagter created Jun 07, 2023 Views: 131 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Yo, I'm mainly a writer so I don't know what course to choose. I want to learn how to do some programming/development. I'm currently looking at using Twine, just to do some basic text-based games, but it uses CSS and Javascript. Is there anything anyone would recommend?

Submitted(+1)

I'm also a writer rather than coder but looking at the idea that maybe visual/game based story telling is more my thing. I made my submission (Longinus-3) using Scratch. It's simple but you'll start to feel some of it's limits if you make anything complex. If you decide to check it out, GriffPatch is a youtuber who outright breaks Scratch pushing it way beyond it's intended functions on the regular.

Something of a step up from Scratch is Godot if you don't want to get into Unity or Unreal. Godot is appealing since it's free and has a pretty solid community around it while generally considered the easiest of the three to learn (but I've also heard it has the least tutorials/resources to learn from) while being highly flexible.

If you want mostly 2D games, then Unity or Godot might be the best but since I've heard Unreal is a bit rough in that area. If you are going with 3D games, Unreal is pretty nuts but the other two are both very capable as well (Godot is mostly a 2d engine afaik, but it can do 3D as well).

For making your own graphics, I'd recommend the Complete Blender Creator 3 or GIMP courses (for 3D and 2D art respectively).

Also keep an eye on HumbleBundle. Occasionally they have bundles from GameDev.tv (which is how I got most of my courses from them).