Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Anybody else have no dev expierence but joined to force yourself to learn?

A topic by Salune created Jan 31, 2024 Views: 929 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 19
(+5)

because I did and I don't know how smart that decision was. Anyway, is anybody else in the same boat?

Almost. I just finished my first local game jam with almost no experience in game dev but with some programming knowledge. It is fun anyway.

(+1)

I'm also using this jam to learn Godot.

Back in school a friend and I did a jam to learn Gamemaker. We tried to make something wayyy too complicated and it ended up being a terrible game (a roguelike with random level generation and multiple bossfights). However, we did learn really quickly!

I think it's easier to learn if you have a clear goal with limited scope.

Hoping this time goes a bit better! I'm sure we'll have fun regardless :)

(1 edit) (+1)

Kinda. I have some game dev experience but never participated in a Game Jam before, mostly because I don't like the idea of crunching yourself into making a game in 48 hours and also competing with large teams. The fact that this Jam you have to do everything alone is what convinced me to joining

(+2)

same, I think the solo casual style is much better for everyone and gives people like me a chance to at least submit something

Submitted(+1)

Nearly, I've messed around with Unity and Godot before but never with any real goals, certainly never with a finished project to show for it

(+1)

I've played around with Godot and Unreal. never really made anything though. Using this jam as a deadline to make literally anything.

(+1)

Yeah me too

(1 edit)

I'm actually practicing right now with Mini Jam here on Itch, and oh BOY the deadline was three days ago and I did not finish the game yet. So yup I'm on the same boat.

My only game was a uni project and it sucks, so yeah, I entered to pressure myself to actually learn gamedev lol

Pretty much. I joined a jam like 2 years ago with my 2 friends and we even managed to make something playable. Since then I have made a lot of half-baked prototypes but never managed to finish any of them. My goal for this jam is to finally stick with a project from start to finish. (and polish my pixel art skills while I’m at it)

Submitted

Yeah, kinda first real try to make a game, not just messing with unity for fun. Don't really know if I finish game for jam in time, but interested in doing so. Registered for jam because Acerola's videos are cool.

I've messed around w gamedev before but never actually completed a project. This year my goal's been to at least finish and start one small project and this gamejam seems like the perfect push for me! Aka almost exactly the same story as a lot of other people here it seems pfht

I am a former Roblox developer. Now, I want to learn other languages to develop a game and earn some money so I forced myself to join this game jam and practice in the next few days before the jam starts lol.

Submitted

i'm participating to see if i'll actually finish something more complex, since most of my "finished" games are extremely simple and not really polished at all

I support your bad decision. Most decisions are bad, at least yours looks fun and takes stones.

Yes, I'm literally in the same boat. It's extremely hard for me to go through with anything i start. So am hoping this will get me over my anxious paralysis.

Same here. Although i have built some small projects like simple old arcade games, I'm taking this opportunity to learn and grow.

literally me(literally me)

There is no better way to light a fire under your ass than a time limit. I am excited to learn how to make a game.

you are not alone, i am afraid to join game jams in the fear of screwing up, but i finally encouraged myself to join in order to learn. Best of luck to all of us :)