Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's everyone's preferred control scheme for dungeon crawlers?

A topic by Jake Hatt created 60 days ago Views: 112 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

After playing some of the entries (great work everyone btw) I'm seeing two major control schemes cropping up...
W&D are invariably the vertical axis, but some games use Q&E to turn and A&D to strafe, while others swap it over and A&D are turn and Q&E strafe... 
this is interesting to me as the former was instantly the one I felt intuitively made sense and developed without a second thought. I was actually surprised to see the other control scheme. But after playing some of them I now find both sort of make sense in their own way.. 

Was just wondering what everyone else's preferences were and why 

Submitted(+1)

The reason why I used to implement A&D to turn was because when I play the games I never strafe and then I did not implement strafing at all. Then the keys are disposed like the arrow keys which feels natural.

However now that I implement strafing, because people rightfully mentioned I should, then I agree the other way feels the most logical.

I think I really don't mind either way when playing.

Submitted(+1)

Sadly, I had to disable the options in my entry, but internally the game is able to process both. I don't think there is a right or wrong. I personally prefer strafe on Q/E, as I tend to turn over strafe.

Submitted

My first drpg was Etrian Odyssey 4 so I'm console biased, but to me because movement is so limited it makes more sense for A&D to turn like tank controls. To me it comes down to which action is more important, turning or horizontal movement, and ease of getting that input. Id argue turning is more important so I'd map turn to A&D/left&right and strafe to Q&E/R&L bumper because it places less stress to input more repeated functions while placing the less needed ones on more taxing keys. 

Submitted

I would say with a good in game perspective you would actually do more strafing (at least in cleared spaces while i.e looking for hidden switches) then turning. Of course if the game does not offer hidden switches/doors or Illusion walls then it makes less sense to strafe. Kind of depends on the game. 

Personally QE for strafing feels a bit awkward and I need some time to adapt to it. 

This discussion somehow reminds me of the "Emacs" vs. "Vi" debates :D