My name is Leaf. I’ve created itch.io over the past year and a half. itch.io is the culmination of well over a thousand hours of work: tens of thousands of lines of code, hundreds of support tickets + emails, and plenty of opensource projects. You could say that I’ve put my very existence into creating itch.io. I’ve received a tremendous amount of support with the thousands of games uploaded and all the wonderful feedback I’ve received. I will continue to provide this service as long as I can.
It would pain me to see the platform I’ve created being used to distribute any sort of content that promotes intolerance or hate against others. The hours invested into itch.io by all those who participate should not boil down into a delivery mechanism for someone’s inappropriate behavior.
Traditionally the acceptable use policy of itch.io has been vague about what is not acceptable. A few months ago I released a “Report game” button so I could start collecting feedback on game pages but I never explicitly defined a procedure for handling inappropriate content.
Starting today the acceptable use policy is updated:
The acceptable use policy exists to help create a safe environment for users of the site. The posting of content that degrades the experience of others may result in account termination. Here is a list of explicitly prohibited actions:
Should there ever be a need to invoke the possibility of removing content, the consideration will be made very carefully. Where not obvious, cases of misconduct will be handled individually and the policy document may be updated to reflect the decision.
- Uploading viruses or malicious code
- Spamming or sending repeated messages
- Posting unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory content
- Bullying, intimidating, harassing, defaming, or threatening others
- Posting content that promotes or participates in racial intolerance, sexism, hate crimes, hate speech, or intolerance to any group of individuals
- Soliciting personal information or login details of others
- Violating copyright by posting content without permission to distribute
- Hacking, maliciously manipulating, or misrepresenting itch.io’s interface in any way using the built in tools for page customization
The indie game community needs a safe place, and hopefully you agree that this is a step in the right direction. I’m always open to discussion about matters like this. You can get in touch with me from the contact form on itch.io.
You can read the entire terms of service here: http://itch.io/about/terms
Did you like this post? Tell us