I spent the past several hours playing around with different bits of functionality and reading through the very thorough documentation on gitbook. I'm very excited about this virtual console :)
Unfortunately, unless I'm just doing it wrong, I've encountered several major issues with importing sprites:
- Setting SpriteChip's spriteHeight/spriteWidth to values other than 8 causes Sprite Editor to glitch out. Using 16 or 32, for example, will cause the sprite editor to ignore colors in sprites.png and jumble the imported image into a strange glyphs. Luckily, the image on disk is not actually corrupted; it's only being displayed improperly in the editor. Too bad it also causes the game to throw an "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range" error when running.
- SpriteBuilder sprites do not get imported. I troubleshot by deleting the existing sprites.png / reloading / re-exporting, but I could not get it to work. Obviously, as a side-effect, Sprite Editor's "builder" button appears, but has no effect.
- Regardless of which system colors you have set, only black/white and the GB palette colors are imported/exported from sprites.png. Every other color is converted to #FF00FF. I did get it to work properly for a bit by copying colors.png and renaming it to color-map.png. However, this workaround broke at some point while I was messing around with the SpriteBuilder folder.
UPDATE: I just noticed colors.png is probably the culprit behind the color mismatches. The Display Editor shows similar but different hex values on each swatch when compared to each pixel in colors.png.
UPDATE: I had assumed SpriteBuilder replaces the need for a sprites.png, however, SpriteBuilder actually relies on sprites.png inside the Game directory to generate the tables that get injected into code.lua.