I'll be posting updates frequently here as to the progress of current and upcoming features.
This thread will be updated over time so check back to keep up to date with current information!
Feel free to leave comments and questions.
Current build: Alpha .01 available on Itchi.io
Updates below this line are in development and have not been released yet:
- May updates
Week of 4/30 to 5/5
So the big feature this week is I took the Debuff and PlayerEffects classes that were tightly coupled to the player and made them generic so they can be used for both the player and the monsters in the game.
I started the work late at night on a weeknight (I work fulltime so that's the main time I get to do any dev work is about an hour a night before bedtime).
I copied the players tightly coupled implementation of these classes into their own new classes and stared at the wall of errors that the compiler was now throwing.
I knew it was a solvable problem but I was quite tired - so I decided to start with just commenting out everything that doesn't work so I can save/compile and keep moving forwards.
After getting that done it was almost bedtime so I went ahead and pushed my work to Git and went to bed.
The next evening when I opened my IDE back up I took a look at the classes and had this flash of clarity - *those comments were the template of what had to be refactored/generified* .. which I already knew in a way but really it was the way I said it to myself that made things click in a much more 'this is manageable' instead of ' crap I have a ton of errors to deal with here' that made the difference.
Having had that flash of clarity I was able to refactor most of the code that night and did the final bit of adjustments this Saturday morning so we now have a screenshot of a [Skeletal Footman with a flame debuff on him and a UI element above his head showing a small fire debuff icon.]()
I also understood the code beforehand in such a way as I sort of talked it out in my head as if I were giving a lesson or tutorial on it -- really weird sense of understanding/clarity on code that I'm not always accustomed to having!
In the case of a fire effect that already has a nice whole body visual effect this seems a little redundant but the icon also tells you that it has 5 rounds of effect left - and there will be other effects that will not be obvious (stun, hold) so the icon will be the indicator for the player to know that things are actually doing what they expect.
I'm also experimenting with visual UI name of monsters, and a health bar. You'll note the skeleton in the upper right and the spider in the lower right have slightly different UI elements as I'm seeing what I like / do not like until things look right.
Note: These changes are scheduled for the June release and are not in game yet
* Debuffs can now be placed on monsters as well as players! With some specific exceptions (undead vs living) any effect that a player can have a monster can have now (positive or negative). Only projectile spells or weapons that have proc effects will trigger this at the time (single target castables in the future?).
* new EntityEffects system that allows debuff effects to both be placed, and expire properly on monsters as well as the player
* solved race condition to initialize enemy on level change that could result in null pointer in enemybehavior
* BugFix: the above created a bug where Traps would no longer trigger; fixed that!
* spike traps now each have their own interval of triggering set randomly at creation
* refactored some utility code for deleting child game objects ( weapons, objects that fall to the ground, projectiles) into a utility class so it only exists in one place instead of in each item that has this kind of behavior
* BugFix: mace 05 was lacking world item scrits
* added experimental health bar to some monsters (not sure I like it)
* added experimental name bar to monsters
Updates that are moved below this line are released as version Alpha .01 :
April 28 Devblog
This week I have my first update which includes the last 4 weeks of content. (see previous weeks Sharing Saturdays or the Itch.io community forum).
The big accomplishment this week was to change the loot drops into real 3d objects that drop in the world ; previously a 'bag' would drop and all loot was represented by icons. Given the game is in a fully 3d world I wanted the ability to have loot physically drop on the ground (done) and the ability to drop/throw the loot (coming soon).
This required making tons of 3d models for all the armor types and weapons and associated prefabs, scripts, and effects to make them visible in the game world.
[Heres a screenshot in 3rd person of the character holding a long sword with a glow effect]()
[And heres a screenshot showing a loot drop in front of the character near the top of the screen highlighted with a yellow glow effect](another )
* added additional fields to equipment data base items to support having 3d world objects
* all dropped loot is now represented by a 3D model dropping instead of bags that have icons of the model. The models are non-unique; meaning a leather armor of the owl and a leather armor of the void will have the same model; but they both look like leather rather than cloth or metal.
* Bugfix: Fixed bug where upon death if the player hit restart the new level gen would fail due to index out of bounds error ; AKA game may now be properly restarted upon death without exiting to main menu.
* world items now have glow effect when dropped (easier to see in dark dungeon areas)
* weapons now have world item support
* Bugfix: player portrait now resets properly after restart
* Bugfix: loading screen properly shows status after restart