I LOVE this tool!! Here's a few usability issues I came across while building games today:
- When making animations, it would be useful to see a "ghost" of the other frame in the editor. Makes it easier to replicate confusing shapes between frames.
- As far as I can tell, exits and entrances can be only one tile. This can be very frustrating if you're making games where the entrances and exits take up the entire edge of the map. If you do this, you've gotta create a new exit on every edge tile and link it specifically to an edge tile on another room. Here's an example of a game where I had to do this. It would be great if we could simplify the process of lining up rooms into a larger map-- right now, the longest and fiddliest part of any game-making experience, for me, is elaborately covering room edges with entrances and exits.
- Would be nice to see what the max number of tiles we can have is, and get some info on how many we've already made. I didn't know there was a tile limit until I hit it, and the UI for making new tiles makes it hard to count and see how many you've already made. I still don't know if there are limits for sprites.
- Speaking of tile UI: I would like to be able to see all my tiles at once, as a palette and click on the one I want, rather than clicking awkwardly to navigate left and right along the strip of tiles.
- Would also be nice to know what the character limit is on sprite dialogue, and whether I'm close to hitting it, like twitter shows for tweet length.
Here's some features I'd like:
- An "end game" condition of some kind
- A key to restart the game
- The ability to change the color of the page background in the game editor
And here's something I think might be a bug:
- When you create a new game in the same window you were using to make a previous game, you can get stuck with empty rooms from the old game in your menus, inaccessible. I made a game with rooms 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Then I made a new game; now I've got rooms 0, 5, and 6, and rooms 1-4 living as inaccessible ghosts in me "add an exit" drop down menu.