- Public Transportation
- Maybe some water? Examples: River's, Fountains
- Outside connection "Highway"
- People and housing
- Weather Conditions
- Services "Fire Station, Police Station, Ect..."
I like it!
- Public transport: Certainly, not sure how big of a role it'll be though.
- Rivers/fountains: Yep! Fountains for decoration and rivers for transportation - will probably come with terrain.
- Outside connection: Yes, still thinking on what kind (probably a tunnel that goes underground) but it will be the source of population.
- People/housing: Yes, you'll have a choice what type of housing to build and each residence can be upgrades/expanded.
- Weather conditions: I'd love to insert some kind of gameplay with this, wind already affects energy (with wind turbines).
- Services: Certainly, will come with it's own disasters.
Public transport could be something easy at first like busses and taxis or maybe even light rail. Busses and light rail would require stops. Airtransport would be easy to implement also I think. Small airfields and heliports.
- Housing in different styles depending the region.
- day/night cycle is already implemented... but what about the lightning of the houses and cars when its night?
- maybe implement seasons (spring/summer/autumn/winter)...
there's more where that came from ;)
Yep exactly, although I'd need to think about the actual impact of gameplay regarding the public transport. What if there's no public transport? Would citizens not be as happy, or would they not be able to go to work?
Housing in different styles won't be happening possibly, since I'd want every building to be expanded (swimming pool, garages etc.) there would be too many models meaning an impact on memory. There's a selection of different types of housing to players though (trailer park, suburban, villa etc.).
Still working on the lighting at night, while all vehicles/buildings already have lights installed they don't glow enough. Still looking for a proper bloom shader that only works using emission textures.
Seasons not sure, but because all buildings/vehicles use the same material it wouldn't be hard to write a shader that applies various color variations (like adding snow/white on flat surfaces).
From a design standpoint i really like the suggestions about water and weather/seasons.
A river could become the hydraulic supply of the city. I'm thinking about a plumbing system like Sim City, where you place the pipes on underground tiles. Then the player could start the city close to the river, in order to have cheap access for water. But then the player is far away from the mountains at the other side of the map, which would provide cheap eolic energy. Now the player has to build a system to bring the energy from the mountains to the town.
Or the player could start the city near the mountains, but then he would have to build a system to bring the water from the river. It's all about choices and the assessment of their implications.
I also liked the weather and seasons systems, because they can interact with others. For example, in winter the water from the lake freezes, so the efficiency of the hydraulic system is reduced. Then the player has to either build a heat facility of some sort, or build more water stations on the river. Then at summer the water completely evaporates, so in spring and autumn the player have to prepare for summer and winter. I'm thinking about Stardew Valley when it comes to these seasonal "events" or "characteristics".
These came to mind, but i'm sure there are more ways these systems can interact to create interesting gameplay.