Having an issue with the Depth of Extinction Demo? Or maybe you have an idea for something we could add to the final game? Either way, we'd love to hear from you.
Tell us about your Experience playing DOE Sticky
We've got a relatively small team of 2 programmers and 2 artists at the moment.
We've heard that a few times but are trying to keep it simple for the demo so height is not a factor at all. The only thing that changes shooting percentage is the type of cover (indicated by the icon on the floor) so I hope that helps.
Thanks! To change a weapon you have to unlock a weapon class on a mission. So, if you unlock the Assault or Sniper class, then you can immediately equip that weapon to one of your troops.
Sorry if that is confusing. In the full game you will have access to most classes at the beginning and will have more options on changing and upgrading weapons.
Is this is correct, that if you have assigned a class and a weapon to a soldier, in the demo you can't change his profession or his weapon?
But in the final game you can do this?
We are still balancing this but it's currently looking quite a bit different in the full game. We consolidated the weapon classes and classes together and now allow you to assign up to 2 that can be leveled up like skills.The first class can be assigned on your first level up and the second can be added later. This system is still being developed but seems to be working well in our playtesting.
Skills can be learned either by leveling up stats or classes, so each character can access some of the same skills but still can be very unique.
Anything specific about the graphics? Do you not like pixel art?
I do but it could be a bit better.
like make objects more clear
I appreciate the feedback but still not too sure what you think needs improvement. Do you mean it's not clear that some cover explodes or can be damaged? Or that cover objects reduce the chance to hit? Or you think the objects need to be transparent?
Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to play the game so much and tell us your thoughts.
Sorry about the poor experience with the game locking up. We definitely did notice a few instances where that could happen and issued a patch last week. Can you confirm if you have version 15.6? It should be on the bottom right of the title screen. If you do, then our play testers have definitely missed something and we will figure it out ASAP. Appreciate the details there.
We certainly have more in mind for the full game with regards to characters. As may be evident from the title screen, we will have "fixed" characters in the game as well as characters you can design yourself. Some of them will be in the party initially and others can be recruited as you play specific missions or at specific locations in the game. We will have a lot more customization options to choose from for designing the characters.
Yeah, the "turn based" vs "squad based" decision was a tough one for the team. The original idea for the game was to go back to the "retro" JRPG "initiative" style turn order while still having the tactical element. It's definitely something we are thinking about and testing and we will take your feedback under consideration as we continue development.
We will definitely get that resolved. Thanks again for the input and I think you've given me a couple of ideas on how to make the turn system better. Set characters vs roguelike randomness is one of the topics we will be debating I am sure and we will try to find a good balance.
Thanks for asking! I'm going to make a blog post about that this week.
We are going to email the newsletter out to our subscribers tomorrow but if you want a sneak peak:
We'll definitely post some more about the factions and how they relate to one another. We've got some great ideas along these lines and are happy t hear thoughts and ideas from the community. I may go set up some proper topics on the board after the holidays where topics and ideas can be bounced around more freely.
Thanks for the feedback! We were just trying to keep the game simple for the demo and we will be refining the entire experience for the full release. The non combat elements will actually be quite a bit different.
Thanks for the feedback here and on GameJolt and we are happy to hear you liked the game! We have heard the X-Com comparison but I think we will be distinguishing the game a lot more in our next update as the plan has always been to skew a bit more to the RPG side.
We've definitely got a lot of plans for character customization and a better equipment loadout screen to solve a lot of the item issues people have mentioned. We'll also have a bit more to the story and new enemies revealed soon!
Thanks for the feed back and glad you liked the game! We are definitely in agreement with you on the difficulty curve and have a plan to (hopefully) make it a little more fun for new players and ramping up the challenge as you get deeper into the game.
The UI is coming along nicely (we have a few screenshots on our twitter account https://twitter.com/depthextinction) and has a lot more options for character customization and several new equipment types. We will be posting more about this soon!
Next steps: a possible update for the demo and early access.
Thanks for the kind words! We're hard at work on getting an early access build that has massive improvements over the current demo. It's probably 6-8 weeks from being ready and we're debating on updating the demo or leaving it as-is.
The 3/4 view will be hard to switch away from at this point but we have heard the feedback on the cover and are working on some creative solutions. We are also going to spend some time on mouse/keyboard/gamepad controls so I expect they'll be improved as well.
Gamepad support would be great.
Earlier somebody commented about the difficulty of leveling up a new recruit and I agree... one of my original three got killed, everybody was level 5 or so, and the level 1 replacement was pretty much useless.
Spent another hour playing and I have a few more comments to add. I can't see earlier posts while writing this reply so some of this has probably already been mentioned (or you've fixed it already, sounds like a lot of UI tweaks have taken place), but in no particular order:
- When there are about six units active (friendlies + enemies) the info boxes at the top go off-screen and I didn't see any way to scroll. It's also often tricky to discern between enemy robots and any robot units in my group (insert pixel-art grumpiness here).
- Inventory is only a single line and doesn't scroll. My robot had a bunch of items that it couldn't use (health regen) and it also had oil, but I couldn't select the oil.
- Similarly, if I can't use health packs with a robot or oil with a human, I shouldn't be able to assign them in inventory. (Doubt this is news to you but just in case.)
- I think it was mentioned, but weapon reassignment is a must. Class reassignment would be nice but doesn't feel as necessary.
- It isn't clear to me what it means when "my" level increases (versus my team). I guess that opens up higher difficulty missions?
- It took me awhile to figure out the little star meant I had level-up skill points to assign. I'd probably go with an up-arrow, maybe even animated.
I hope it's sufficiently successful that you decide to release an HD-graphics reboot! :)
Thanks for the additional input. I'll give a quick overview of where we are with the game design at the moment since others might like to see this also:
- Removed single use items in favor of items that have limited number of uses on a mission. Also items are either usable or passive bonus types and one of each can be equipped. We also have added grenades as one of the usable items which was a pretty common request
- Weapons and armor can be freely equipped or removed and we have a lot more of both.
- Streamlined classes down to just "weapon classes" but they are more of a combination of weapon and regular classes. A second class can be assigned also at level 5. The weapon class would not restrict weapon use but provide bonuses when using that weapon
- Stat categories have been totally changed and are more meaningful to the game and have better effects
- A level up will allocate 2 points that can be spent to level up a stat or a class. Certain levels of both stats and classes have skills that are assigned when you level up to that value. Leveling up a stat can improve multiple elements in combat and leveling up a weapon class can improve damage, aim, etc with weapons of that type.
- Skills are similar to items in that they are either usable (with a cooldown) or passive bonuses. We've got 27 total skills implemented so far and they really add a lot of different tactical options
We also are adding some new enemy types and variations to the current characters.