🤑 Indie game store🙌 Free games😂 Fun games😨 Horror games
👷 Game development🎨 Assets📚 Comics
🎉 Sales🎁 Bundles

Equidate [a gay fantasy horse dating sim]

A topic by peachpattch created Oct 20, 2017 Views: 212 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 10

hey there everyone! my name's peach. my pal felt and i are collabing on a cute little game called "Equidate" and the title of this devlog is 100% not a joke.

it's in it's earliest stages at the moment we're working on bringing this light-hearted and humorous visual novel to life.

planned features include:

  • 2 romance-able equine lads
  • a story whose path you take control of as the main character, dunkan
  • 3 endings
  • 100% gay

you payin' attention kids? this is what   g a m e d e v e l o p m e n t   looks like:

things done so far

  • felt and i designed, sketched, and characterized story's main characters
  • felt and i did some rough development of in-game universe (lore)
  • felt created placeholder sprites and i did some placeholder background images
  • laid out basic plan for story
  • wrote, coded, and edited opening scene
  • fixed all the annoying errors that kept turning up and fixed up terrible typos/continuity errors
(Edited 2 times)

i did so much coding today thank GOD for copy and paste!


  • added styles to character dialogue so i don't have to constantly copypaste \"
  • added those comment bars with endless hypens to make the code easier to read and navigate
  • coded the very barest of bones to the story skeleton so that all i have to do is add the actual writing + dialogue
  • designed and coded in the affection system so you can finally romance ur fave lad
  • added the sprite images to the rest of that intro scene i coded earlier
  • added some mid-dialogue "animations" with talksprites
  • did some image resizing for some talksprites
  • figured out more of the background locations that need to be painted
  • struggled™ to understand how to make animations work in renpy


  • found a much easier, less time-consuming way to implement talksprites and tried implementing it
  • took forever to work (i was almost crying) but once it did i somehow messed up (then i cried a little)
  • decided to copy the game in it's barebones, skeleton complete state and labeled it as the pre-alpha build so yay for pre-alpha?
  • started converting old code that should be removed later into comments in order to make space for the new talksprite system
(Edited 2 times)


  • FINALLY got the talksprite system working
  • changed around some default configurations in screens.rpy to make it so that i didn't have to constantly define the position of the talksprites
  • decided to just let all the images stay on the left side of the text box since it's easily readable that way anywho
  • renamed and reorganized SO MANY FILES
  • created blank placeholder background images for more locations that'll be important to the rest of the game
  • began mapping out a very basic flowchart of the in-game events
  • began converting placeholder talksprites with opaque BGs to transparent BG images
  • cleaned up code by removing remnants of the old talksprite system
  • various bug fixes
  • staged the fullbody sprites for the remainder of the second major scene of the story
  • horizontally mirrored fullbody sprites for sake of ease until i find an easier way to program that (if any)

note to self: auto reloading is useful but it sometimes gets elements to display improperly. it's worth closing and re-launching the VN every once in a while to avoid such issues.

(Edited 2 times)


  • backed up placeholder background image
  • felt and i talked more about and fleshed out the story, characters, and setting
  • felt and i also talked about workflow and the logistics of transferring files to one another
  • we also also got each other up to speed on the progress we've been making
  • felt completed the rough fullbody sprite of morgan to use as a placeholder which i then placed in the image directory
  • scrambled through so many tutorials it ain't even funny
  • files in the images were getting a bit chaotic and hard to navigate so i started organizing the image directory
  • replayed the game and realized i gotta re-stage morgan's fullbody sprite in his first scene since its dimensions are different
  • finished making dunkan and morgan's talksprites BGs tranparent
  • fixed text styles so that now all characters have their own text colors when speaking
  • cleaned up character definitions to make them more readable
  • made alternative character objects so that text size can be easily manipulated (including automatic quotation mark sizing)
  • made dunkan heehaw
  • drew up new BGs
  • messed with text box customization a bit
  • √ cleaned up sides of 2 dunkan talksprites
  • √ make gabriels talksprite BGs transparent

to do

  • re-stage morgan in fs scene

i hope you like our new placeholder game menu art.

we are very serious artists.


  • took a nice lil break to prepare for the work to be done™
  • edited individual textboxes experimentally
  • it turned out terrible so i'll probably switch them out til later
  • brainstorming for more future events to be written into the script later
(Edited 1 time)


  • forgot to update this whoops
  • drew even MORE placeholder BGs (one such BG is above)
  • felt and i discussed important business™ things and also features/story ideas to implement!
  • wrote in some new placeholder story text B)
  • replaced a few lines of code

√ felt todo

  • morgan fullbody sprite
  • gabriel fullbody sprite

√ peach todo

  • flower shop backgrounds (green wall)