Wow, this looks amazing, it's really coming together *0* Hmmm maybe steak could be doable at that resolution? Spaghetti? Soup? Really looking forward to this when it's done!
Recent community posts
1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?
Hi, I'm Queenie! I'm an illustrator, a Renp'y Ho, and I help mod the MFGJ discord server.
2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?
I did not participate last time, but I've participated in older MFGJs in the past. I probably won't make a game this time either, I'm mostly here to hang out, and help answer some questions and things :)
3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?
Ace Attorney series, Paper Mario TTYD, Zero Escape series, Yakuza, etc etc. VN games like Ace Attorney, 999, Dangan Ronpa, We Know the Devil, and more have inspired me to make my own.
4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?
I'm a certified Renp'y Ho (ie. i've googled dozens of different lemmasoft threads) and I've worked on a few shipped indie games doing 2D assets and concept art.
5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!
VNs, art, and that good gay shit. And Dua Lipa music videos.
6. What are your goals for this game jam?
To keep participating in the community, help people out, and do my part to help keep MFGJ a fun and safe space for everyone B)
7. Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?
Limit your scope (please) and have fun!! Don't worry if you don't finish within the jam time, it's all a learning experience \o/
8. If you're a returning jammer, what can the admins do to improve your jam experience?
Memorial service for sproutbot :(
(nah, admins are great)
I just played the whole thing in one sitting and I loved it!! It reminded me a lot of what my childhood experiences were like.... like, eerily similar. It was indescribably heartwarming to play Butterfly Soup, thank you for making such a wonderful and sweet game.
Tbt to when all my friends would say "ok did you fail, or did you Asian fail" \o/
I came home from work and slept close to 12 hours and it felt great.
I was going to learn how to put in a score system, but a few things happened:
1) I got sidetracked watching AGDQ streams and 2) I decided I really, really wanted to make the fish spin when you hit them and I spent all my coding time figuring that out.
I gave up after my first few attempts and made the
dog cat spin instead, but if I've learned anything from MFGJ, it's NEVER GIVE UP!!!
SUCCESS!! It's not as satisfying as I was hoping tbh but you know what, I'll play with it later.
Stuff that's next:
- Actually learn how to code in a score system so the game has a win/lose condition and not just make.. things... spin.... OOPS haha
- Try to downgrade my OSX, again, so that I can punch OSX Sierra in the mouth for making my tablet drivers suck so bad. Kind of important I guess since my art assets progress is basically halted until I get this fixed.
- Make a main menu (I don't even know how to make one tbh I need to look this up)
I'm gonna scream these are my favourite gifs in the world. I can't believe these cats know martial arts moves omg. Dunno what you mean by your first attempt not ending well in the first gif, that is a superb total defence.
Day 1 + Day 2Stuff I did on the first few days:
- did some basic animations and linked animations to key input
- had fish spawn off screen and move towards the
- learned how to use prefabs instead of just throwing sprites around
- created trigger colliders that apply random force to the fish on key input
- adjusted speed of the fish
Stuff that's next:
- smack some sense into my dang tablet
- start figuring out how to keep track of the score, and start balancing the speed of the game and how hard/easy it should be... maybe try a difficulty setting?
- learn how to do a start menu and also look into a short story intro cutscene
- collisions are a little wonky and I fixed it a little... but it's still a bit spotty sometimes, idk colliders are hard
Aaaand that's it. This is my first ever Unity game and I think I'm making pretty good progress, though of course that'll change during the weekday :P
To end it off here's a gif of dog cat smacking the shit out of some fish.
POW!! POW POW POW!!!!
Characters and sprites
- Player - 3 sprites (animated idle state, 1-frame hit, 1-frame repel)
- Fish projectile - 1 sprite
- Hand that feeds - 1 sprite (optional)
- Play screen background (probably an alleyway)
- Main menu background
- Menu buttons
- Fish meter
- Paw print reticle - 2 images, one for idle and one for active
- Slash effect on a successful repel
Story images (optional)
- Main Menu track
- Game track
- Ending track
- Button SFX
- Slash SFX
- Munch SFX
- Meow SFX
Full design doc I made before the jam - x
You Are A Stray Cat
Pretend this is a cat.
You are a stray cat and someone is trying to feed you. However, you don't want to be fed. Press the arrow keys in the direction of the incoming food to smack the shit out of it. That's it. Game may have two different endings depending on how much fish you let through your defenders.
Pretty much everything will be done by me... except for music and SFX. Currently my tablet drivers aren't cooperating so I can't draw... which is why I have placeholder assets from a previous game that are of a dog, not a cat WHOOPS. I hope to fix my tablet driver issues so I can make the art assets I want to make.
A cat and that one person who really, really wants to feed the cat.
The game will start off easy... but as time goes on you'll have to fend off food from multiple directions. Will you be able to keep your pride as a stray cat? Or will you succumb to the F I S H O N S L A U G H T ?
"NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH" - final game audio
In My First Game Jam Winter 2016 I made a VN in Ren'Py called Cloud Mage that's largely finished. In MFGJ Summer 2016 I made another VN in Ren'Py, this time it was a dating sim called Hug Hug Kiss Kiss, which I didn't finish :( As part of that jam, I also did Cat 22. One of the unused sprites is this shiba dog we called "cat??" so it seems quite apt to use it as a placeholder for my current Unity game about a cat.
Thank you, I'm just getting more and more disgustingly casual in my intro posts with each passing jam LMAO
I'm all about that VN ho life B) Right now I'm a Unity baby, but soon... I'll be a Unity ho.