Thanks for checking out my game!
Recent community posts
Thank you for checking out the game! Admittedly, I knew that was an issue, but I thought the safe area was big enough that nobody would fall off unless they really tried to xP. Perhaps we have an update coming
Quick Mention: Parsec
Parsec is a tool that lets you remotely connect to someone else's computer and control their mouse, keyboard, etc. If you're working in a team, it's worth checking out as a way to make collaboration and helping each other more convenient.
Note: Please pay attention to the licenses, they let you know whether you can monetize your game or if you need to give credit, etc.
|https://opengameart.org/||Art, Sound||Depends on poster, check the description for each asset|
|https://www.kenney.nl/assets||Art, Sound||Public Domain - free to use for any purpose, no credit needed|
|https://www.zapsplat.com/||Sound||Free to monetize, but credit required - check the website|
|https://itch.io/game-assets/free||Art, Sound, Everything||Depends on poster, check the asset's page|
Note: All assets made using these tools are legally yours, so no licenses to worry about
|https://led.itch.io/tilemancer||Generate 2D game art using a node editor similar to Blender nodes or Unity's shader graph|
|http://sfbgames.com/chiptone/||Super easy tool for making 8 bit style sound effects in your browser|
|https://joshua-maros.github.io/audiobench/||More complicated but very powerful node-based editor for making sound effects|
|https://boscaceoil.net/||Easy music making tool with a tutorial (supposed to work in browser but only the download link works rn)|
|https://beepbox.co/||Easy Browser-based music making tool!|
|https://moddedbeepbox.github.io||More advanced version of beepbox with more settings to change, if you're into that|
Alright, positives first:
- Atypical UI interaction is always cute and fun
- I like the ring surrounding the player/donuts, it makes it harder to lose track of where everything is. Donuts in general are very distinct from the rest of the world which makes reaction quick
- You're always great with adding flair to menus and such. Main menu is lovely, and the transition screen is also great
And here are my criticisms/suggestions:
- I think the colour palette is not very accessible, as there isn't a lot of contrast between the player, cutlery and the background. This is especially bad when the background changes around the 500 points range since it cloaks the spoons quite strongly. Ideal change would be reserving certain colours for the interactive elements and making them more saturated than the background (bright yellow and adjacent colours would work best)
- Party popper sound is far too quiet
- Adding a confetti particle to the party poppers is a no-brainer!
- Knives and forks should be more unique than having different speeds. Would also look nice if the spoons rotated to match their changing velocity and eventual fall.
- Donuts could also do something more unique than fall at different speeds i.e. wiggling back and forth a bit, perhaps going from side to side or bottom to top. You could even check out the different sort of enemy patterns in Galaga for inspiration
- A simple temp-invincibility powerup, or perhaps one that lets you take one free hit, would be a great addition imo. Perhaps it even gets shot out of the party poppers for a rare boon!
PS: Criticisms tend to outweigh positives because stuff that's simply done well isn't always interesting to talk about - good controls aren't usually noteworthy while bad controls are, etc... Just wanted to say that so you don't think I disliked the game!