Really excited when I saw the update! I've been following the classic version for a while now. For the record - pawnbarian was my most played game of the past 5+ months.
I'll be playing this a lot and will give a in depth opinion later but here are my first impressions:
1. The new UI is very sleek - especially the hit markers (markings on each square showing how much you'll get hit). Awesome to see where your pieces will land too depending on where you point the movement wheel.
2. The added variety of enemies is nice. Interesting change that blightsacks no longer damage the space they are killed on. Goblins are aptly described - annoying. Not sure if these new enemies are "fun" yet.
3. The coin system is hard to get used to - I'm not sure if I'm a fan (yet). Especially with the goblins that take many turns to kill - it seems very unlikely to end a round with any coins left. The coin system rewards "speed running" each floor, while in the classic version, a lot of the fun was slow and careful positioning until the enemy is in the corner, for instance. It feels like the player is being punished for being methodical.
5. I really don't like only having 3 cards per hand, compared to the usual 4. A lot less strategy available.
6. I do miss the simple "heart vs piece" option at the end of every level like in the classic version, mostly because I enjoyed heart-only runs or piece-only runs, but I may get used to it after playing this more.
7. The blight trail left by the Blight Matron is really overpowered. Once again rewards "speedrunning" levels, and after a few turns the entire board is ruined. Especially OP when paired with goblins.