Thank you for making your game available on Linux. To be able to get the game to even start I had to perform several steps and found several issues. In case it matters I'm running 64 bit ArchLinux and itch.io is installed from the latest git release v24.2.0-canary.
First and foremost I had to manually unzip the 'Magic Slavery Demo_linux.zip' file in the '~/config/itch/apps/magic-slavery' folder.
I then noticed that in 'start' the the first two variables are not correctly set for what the game expects, they were set to:
and it seems it should be set to:
COMPANY_NAME="VisionaireStudio" GAME_NAME="Magic Slavery Demo"
Next I found that the parent of the directory that the log was supposed to be written to ('~/.local/share/VisionaireStudio/') didn't exist so I created it. In order to auto create the directory I changed the line:
LOGDIR="$XDG_DATA_HOME/$COMPANY_NAME/$GAME_NAME" LOGPATH="$LOGDIR/messages.log" # If the log file or directory doesn't exist create it if [ ! -e "$LOGFILE" ]; then if [ ! -e "$LOGDIR" ]; then mkdir -p "$LOGDIR" fi touch "$LOGFILE" fi
Next for some reason the application seems to want to load the file 'Magic Slavery Demo.vi' but that file doesn't exist from the 'Magic Slavery Demo_linux.zip' archive, but there is a 'Magic Slavery Demo.vis' file. After I renamed that file to 'Magic Slavery Demo.vi' the game finally ran.
Even with the game running it is failing to make the log file because it is trying to make a directory in the root of the file system instead of under $XDG_DATA_HOME (typically ~/.local/share), here are the message printed to the screen in particular:
16:05:36.107:Loading from /home/rnd42/.config/itch/apps/magic-slavery/config.ini 16:05:36.390:m_gamePath: /home/rnd42/.config/itch/apps/magic-slavery/Magic Slavery Demo.vi 16:05:36.392:Serialization finished. Needed time: 2 ms 16:05:36.392:Error creating directory /VisionaireStudio 16:05:36.392:cannot create directory (VisionaireStudio/Magic Slavery Demo/) for logfile 16:05:36.392:Engine Version: 4.2.5 (Build 1186 from Build date: Nov 16 2016) 16:05:36.392:Time needed for preloading game: 2 msec 16:05:36.392:No config.ini in /home/rnd42/.local/share/VisionaireStudio/Magic Slavery Demo//config.ini 16:05:36.393:Error creating directory /VisionaireStudio 16:05:36.393:cannot create directory (VisionaireStudio/Magic Slavery Demo/) for logfile
Also, the config.ini file in ~/.local/share does exist, not sure why the game doesn't see it.
Finally the config.ini in the '~./config/itch/apps/magic-slavery' directory shows the same bad filename issue addressed earlier:
FILE = "Magic Slavery Demo.vis"
The game runs but just out of caution I corrected it:
FILE = "Magic Slavery Demo.vi"
then it failed because it couldn't load the file 'Magic Slavery Demo.v' so it seems to be getting the file name from this config variable but chopping off the last character. To address this I set the config.ini to:
FILE = "Magic Slavery Demo.vis "
and renamed 'Magic Slavery Demo.vi' back to it's original name 'Magic Slavery Demo.vis'
Sorry about the long post and thanks again!