Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev Log] Camp Ravenrock - Queer SF/Fantasy Summer School VN

A topic by Metaparadox created Oct 09, 2017 Views: 647 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

I was actually working on this game since last month before knowing that this jam was a thing! I've been expanding on a project I started in 2015 but didn't get very far with called Camp Ravenrock. It's a mostly linear SF/Fantasy summer school VN with daily randomly placed events and the option of taking four different classes or skipping. There's a lot of different stats for classes, friendships, and romances that are affected by how you talk to people, what you choose to do in various situations, or what you don't do. Every romance option is WLW, with five romance-able characters, with some nuance surrounding gray-aromanticism with one of the characters. In addition to this you can cultivate friendships with three other characters, all of whom are queer in other ways, and make one sort-of friendship with one other character. Most of the characters are either POC or have an appearance not analogous to a human race. The main character is named by the player, and doesn't have a stated race, but is ambiguously brown. There are also interactions with four teachers and four student counsellors. There are non-binary and ace characters!

The game is set in a world I've been developing for the past ten or so years, a world very similar to our own where there is an underground community of "Nons" on Earth, short for non-humans, which in practice means anyone with any non-human ancestry, most of whom have some sort of superpowers. Also, Atlantis and several other pre-ancient civilizations existed, and they left the earth behind to settle underground on the Moon and other planets/moons. Their existence is known to the Non community and select government officials, but is otherwise hidden until several hundred years in the future, which is outside of the scope of this game and most of the stories I've written set in the game's universe. The game is heavily influenced by the game Magical Diary, which is of course vaguely inspired by Harry Potter, but the school in Camp Ravenrock is much closer to Xavier's School in X-Men, mixed with a bit of Area 51. And then there's the whole parallel universe thing, which I can't get into much without spoilers, and the aeşen (EYE-shen), who are somewhat godlike energy beings who collectively make up the soul and consciousness of a planet. They intermix with humans, which is why most of the Non community are "partials." In this world, most "mythological" creatures and "gods" are actually aeşen or partials, though the myths don't always get everything right about them.

The game's plot is mostly about a name-able protagonist going away to the Ravenrock Academy for Exceptional Students' Summer Session for a month, making friends and potentially finding romance while learning about the Non world that she has just been able to enter. She grew up knowing it was a thing, since her parents were also partials, but was never able to use her ability openly... until now! You get to choose from five potential abilities at the beginning of the game, which will influence events and how the ability classes work. There is also a secret plot going on under the surface that I won't spoil. If you don't attend the right classes and do the right things, you might not even notice it's going on, but it will eventually become impossible to ignore.

Right now all the placeholder character art is by me, while the music and backgrounds are free stuff I found on the internet. I'll post some screenshots soon. I haven't done anything to change the default Ren'Py UI yet, but it will be done.

Submitted

Some current screenshots! I apologize for my terrible art and the default UI! Also, I forgot to mention that there are disabled characters! Including an autistic character!

Submitted

Here's the (probably) final art for the romance-able characters! It's not perfect, but I don't really have the time to re-do it again.

Submitted

Just finished digging into the Ren'Py default themes to make a custom version of the TV theme for my game. I wanted pretty button backgrounds. It took me a while, but I did it! And customized the text boxes! And changed the game's resolution!

Using a free background for now for the main menu screen.

As you can see, there's still a lot of placeholder artwork.

Submitted

I like the look of this. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Well, I've made a lot of progress on writing, fixing transitions and transforms, and did some art fixes. I'm 26,000 words in, including placeholders to be expanded.

Still To Do:

• Write 3.5 random events (so far I've written half of one and plotted out in detail the other 26 for the full game)
  • Write 12 class periods (so far I've written 4 and planned the rest for the full game)
  • Write 3 class skipping events (so far I've written 1)
  • Finish sprites for 4 friend characters, player character, 4 teachers, and 4 counsellors
  • Finish drawing auditorium background
  • Maybe: work on original background art
  • Maybe: work on minigames for ability classes

YIKES! I've got a lot to finish in like ten days. But I've got the gist of what I need to finish for the demo to be done in time. I'll release it even if it's not totally done though; I'll just leave in the placeholders. The main structure is all done.

Submitted

Haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked, but the deadline's been extended a day, so I still have this much left to do in less than 2 days:

• Write 2 random events
  • Write 6 class periods
  • Draw sprites for 2 counsellor characters (or 7 characters (4 counsellors and 3 friends) if I want to replace all the placeholder sprites)
  • Finish auditorium background
  • Find some photos for a few short scene backgrounds
  • All the maybes are out for now

This seems much more doable now!