SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Safety in W&A Games Sticky

A topic by Chris Bissette created May 29, 2020 Views: 654 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+6)

Hi folx,

There's been some discussion over on Twitter this morning around the "rules as an unreliable narrator" aspect of The Wretched and W&A games, and what this means in terms of player safety - particularly with regard to those from marginalized backgrounds. It was pointed out to me - correctly - that this mechanic comes uncomfortably close to the very real experience of being gaslighted, not believed, and given false hope that you can make it if you play by the rules.

This was an oversight in the design of The Wretched - and, by extension, the SRD - caused by my own privilege and failure to critically assess what I was building (and, by extension, encouraging you to build). 

Let me start by saying that if The Wretched has caused you harm in any way, I want to unequivocally apologize. I'm sorry. It's my fault, and I'm going to do better.

The next step is to talk about how I'm going to do better. Matt and I are currently speaking to a consultant on these issues, with an aim to working out how we can incorporate what we've learned here into The Wretched and the SRD. I don't know what form that will take yet - that's the nature of, and reason for, consulting with people more qualified to talk about safety concerns than we are. But as soon as we reach a point where we understand how to best mitigate any potential harm these games could cause, and properly prepare players for what they are going to experience in the game, there will be an update to both the SRD and The Wretched that reflects this consultation.

While this work goes on, I want to encourage you all to make use of safety tools and content warnings in your games. Cat Evans included an excellent content warning in Final Girl that served as the template for my warning in Go Alone. It reads like this:

Many of the roleplaying prompts in Final Girl are pretty dark. Most are standard for the slasher horror genre on which the game is based, but it's hard to cover them all. Generally, if you're ok with these films you'll probably be ok with Final Girl.
Some specific content to be aware of: confined spaces, injurypanic attacksstalkingsuicidal thoughts.
Remember: if a particular prompt messes with you, don't use it. Move o the previous or the next prompt, or just make a pull from the tumbling block tower.

This obviously does not speak to the issue of the false hope created by the mechanics of the game (and that's not a criticism of Cat; this is on me) but it's an excellent start to ensure that player safety is put first.

I encourage you to make use of safety tools in your games, and as soon as I have a solution to the issue of the block tower and the unreliable narration of the game rules I'll make another post discussing that. In the mean time if you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to reach out to Matt and myself here or on Twitter (where I'm @pangalactic and Matt is @iammattsanders).

Submitted(+2)

Just throwing an idea out there - the answer might be as simple as a content warning for gaslighting, on the product page and prominently in each game. That way no secrets are spoiled, but also people have the option of not participating if that is not something they're ok with. 

HostSubmitted(+1)

Yeah, I think it *might* be as simple as "if you have experienced X and this would cause issues for you, read the final page before continuing". But I don't just want to stick a quick fix in that I think will be right without doing the work to understand properly where I went wrong first.

Submitted(+1)

That's always a better approach. I've changed my product page as a hot fix but I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Matt come up with. 

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Yes - I ended up putting in warnings for my own game. I would love to get feedback on it if anyone sees anywhere that I can improve it.

Here is what I've written at the beginning of my current WIP:

Caution notice from the author

This game is dark — and sometimes in subtle ways. While this game is not designed to upset players, it is meant to create a feeling of tension and suspense and covers content that may not be suitable for every player.

This version is much more brutal and you are much less likely to survive than you are in the Fairytale edition. The themes being focused on are isolation, self-reproach, doubt, and fear. By the very nature of the fairytale Bluebeard, it will cover topics related to domestic and psychological abuse, murder, and trauma. The game will sometimes have the character question their own actions and inactions, doubt themselves, doubt their support structure, and sometimes lament and feel hopeless and trapped. Because these thoughts are expressed in-character in the moment of those feelings, please understand that the intent is only to place the player in the mindset of the character, not to blame victims or survivors for the abuse they have suffered.

If any of these topics are sensitive to you, please use whatever tools available to you to make playing safe or choose not to play at all if at any time the game feels too real or too upsetting. I highly encourage you to take control if things ever get too uncomfortable for you. You are always welcome to change the wording of a prompt or replace it entirely as necessary. If you like, you may at any time stop drawing cards and write a miraculous rescue, glorious escape, or a smiting of Bluebeard from the heavens — anything that will let you leave the experience safely. You are empowered.

It is possible that playing this game may cause someone to recognize their own current relationship is abusive. I wish to speak to you directly:  You are not alone. Abuse is not normal. It is not okay. And it is not your fault. Please reach out.

Here are some resources ready to take your hand:
➢ National Domestic Violence Hotline     https://www.thehotline.org
➢ Pathways to Safety International     https://pathwaystosafety.org

And here is what I have for my "debriefing" section, which I almost called "Aftercare":

When the story ends…

Take a moment and decompress.

What happened in your story? Were you rescued? Did you escape? Did you die?

If you survived — congratulations! You beat the odds. Savor your victory.

If you died — that’s okay. That was what was most likely to happen, even with the slightly more generous rules Bluebeard’s Castle provides from the default rules of the system. That was the game — seeing if you were lucky enough to survive. You can try again some other time, if you like. Maybe alter the odds more in your favor next time — or maybe instead try the Fairytale version of the game. Your chances in the Fairytale edition are much better than this one.

This is just a game. If it provoked feelings of stress or anxiety, take a few breaths and remember that what you experienced just now was fiction. You were always in control. If you are upset or unsettled, it’s not silly to talk about your experiences with someone else.

If you feel unsatisfied with your ending, consider rewriting the most troublesome aspect of the story. Maybe even consider using another solo engine (like Mythic, MUNE, ALONe, Blade and Lockpick, Tiny Solitary Soldier’s system, or any method that works for you) and having your character have a “second-chance” reincarnation where she starts again as she stands on the threshold of the fatal room and remembers everything that happened in the previous life. Let her change her fate as you explore the story with total control rather than being bound by the rules and prompts of this game. Maybe she’s even reborn with some sort of super power — it’s your turn to decide the rules you follow now!

Good luck in your future adventures.

Again - if anyone sees anywhere I can improve, I am all ears!

Edit: In regards to "slightly more generous rules than the default system", please understand that wasn't a knock against the game. I actually make minor alterations to the rules that send the game into "The Eleventh Hour" mode if the tower falls, which can lead to a chance to escape.

(+1)

I think a Project Zomboid type intro text would be helpful for this.

Submitted (4 edits) (+5)

I've used the following script (adding and subtracting specific warnings as needed) for the games I'm working on. Anyone should feel free to use this and edit it as they choose, no credit needed:

Safety

This game includes themes of fear, isolation, suspense, despair, violence, and death.

Read and play with caution, keeping in mind that you can take a break or stop completely at any time. Your mental health is important, and this is just a game.

This game is designed to make success very difficult and very unlikely. It is meant to be challenging and harrowing and emotional. If that doesn't sound fun to you, that's absolutely fine.

Remember that you can change, ignore, rewrite or abandon any part of this game that you want.