SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Question...

A topic by Nadir created Aug 21, 2022 Views: 126 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

I have a question:

Do the amount of ratings count when listing the top games  or just the ratings?

If just the ratings, would that mean  that even if a game has only 1 rating, if that rating is 5/5 out of everything does that make it  a better rating than a game that got, because of many mixed ratings 4.5/5?

(2 edits)

I really don’t understand it either, I think I have an idea.

I think it averages all the ratings for each category to give out the final score.

Yet still it doesn’t make sense because of the number of ratings you have.

Imagine you have one rating and it has a value of 5/5 on each category. I don’t think it means that you got first place in all categories.

Submitted (1 edit)

As per my understanding from previous Jams, your final score is calculated based on the raw ratings you have received and the average of all the rating in the Jam. Therefore, it is important to get a lot of ratings to get an accurate  final score. If you receive few ratings, it will probably get skewed by the average score pretty badly.  

This is my limited understanding. I have no idea how the exact calculations work.  Feel free to correct me :)

Also, found this post discussing the rating system: 

https://itch.io/t/1488292/jam-ratings-calculation-issue

Submitted

Yeah, I had the same question and when I searched for issues with rating systems I saw complains about seeing games with high rating, but from a few rates that took places of much popular games. However I also checked previous Wowie jams and top always consisted of games with higher than average rates)

Submitted

There is a score system, let’s say that you have a rating of 5/5, that means that you have, lets say 200. If another guy gets an 4/5 and a 4/5 that means that he has something like 300 (one 4/5 is 150 I think). I think you got the idea

Submitted

ohhh, that makes sense. It's not calculation of avarage score, it's points! :D

Thanks for the information!

Submitted

I guess more ratings = better even if worse ratings... :)

Submitted

Still, it's pretty weird. If a game gets one 5/5 and another one gets tens of ones that are 1/1 then the 1/1 one could have higher scores...

Submitted

not really