Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Advice on Getting Ratings?

A topic by Adonis created Mar 06, 2021 Views: 133 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Hello everyone, hope your having a fun jam! I'm having a great time playing all your creations and leaving feedback. I've rated about 50 so far, and I've noticed that Jonas' community is especially talented and kind, and I've had some very interesting discussions about game design/mechanics with some of you. 

But, I'm a bit surprised by the small amount of ratings I've received. The ratings I have received have been extremely constructive and helpful though, so this is mainly a question of marketing the game. My theory is that having "chess" in the name turns people away. If you're wondering, here's my entry Alien Chess

Is there anything I could do to get more ratings? Could you highlight some entries that you think had especially good marketing? Even if your feedback doesn't pertain to my game, feel free to post it below for others to see :)

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

To get plays (minus promoting it everywhere), i think it is important to have an eyecatching thumbnail, an interesting tagline, and if you want to go above and beyond, a gif of the game in the screenshots (which I dont always do because I get lazy)

Looking at your game, the thumbnail is clean and well made but idk I don't feel like it would catch my eye when scrolling through jam entries. I'm no expert at what makes a thumbnail good, but generally I think it's good to have more than just text. Include a hook or something, get the players curious and intrigued about your game.

And the description, intergalactic chess, doesn't really hook me, like all it tells me is that it is chess and space themed. If your game has a cool gameplay twist I suggest showing it in the description and possibly in a gif in the screenshot section.

But then again I feel like getting your game played is mostly just marketing or dumb luck anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Hope this helped a little

Submitted(+1)

the main thing i would suggest is getting involved with the community. not necessarily promoting your game every ware. by committing and helping others then people will start to recognise your name and respect you more so more likely to check out your games. this doesn't always work especially in short term but over time people will recognise you more and seeing something more will make you remember it. just some advice but im just starting and dont have to much experience in this area so im not sure. Jonas channel has some good advice on his earlier videos  

Submitted(+1)

I think the name and the cover image is very important!

And you get many ratings when you rate and comment other games.

Especially if you comment  and play games   in the lower third of ratings.