Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Answering All Questions About The Jam Sticky

A topic by Jonas Tyroller created Jan 01, 2021 Views: 7,073 Replies: 417
Viewing posts 21 to 140 of 140 · Previous page · First page

another question. when this game jam ends, will you make a video about it? also, can we team?

(1 edit)

not you, of course. but with others

Host

Yes, you can team. Yes, I'll make a video showing as many games as I can. :)

Submitted

Will you play all games or ones which rated good? I am curious about it .. :)

Btw you are a great developer, i like your games. Have a nice day Jonas!

Submitted

can i come some stuff for the game jam from now ? i don't really have a lot of time in the 26th of february 

Host(+1)

Preparing some generic scripts beforehand is fine. I don't feel bad about rewarding efficient workflows. Making a full game now and then just slightly adjusting or reskinning it for the jam is not allowed, though. Use your own judgement to draw the line between the two. :)

Submitted

I feel like I know the answer here but can we solo make one game and help with art/music on someone else's?

Host

Of course. :)

Are you going to join?

Host

No, I think me freeing up some time to interact with my community during the jam provides more value to you. I'll be on Discord and here in the forum to help and give feedback. :)

ok

See my project im gonna be making is gonna show that it was made way before the jam. this was because i booked that spot for the project. just wanted to let you know jonas

Host

I'd kindly ask you not to submit the game if it wasn't made during the jam (even if you clearly mark it as such). I appreciate your transparency, but this jam is not meant as promotional event for existing games. I'd be fine with one game doing that, but it's a slippery slope if we allow it once. With peace and love, hope that makes sense. :)

(3 edits)

what is the theme so i can plan early because i spent most of my time planing last game jam i did i might try to make a card game 

Submitted

The whole point of this game jam (and many others) is only knowing what the theme is when it starts?? Just because a jame you did before told you previously doesn't mean every jam has to.

Host(+1)

On top of that I haven't even decided yet. :D

Submitted

I am wondering what am I allowed to make games on specifically suff like the website scratch or Max 2D

Host

Completely up to you but the easier it is to launch your game, the more people will usually play it.

Submitted

ok

Submitted (1 edit)

what do you recommend to make a game, when making  a game for the jam?

When the rating phase is going on, can you update the game? or you can only update the game only after the jam ends?

Host(+1)

I'll probably allow changing the game during the rating period to avoid the flood of requests I got about it last time. I'd ask you to use it responsibly, though. Keep it fair, which means:

• Major bug fixes only!
  • If it's absolutely necessary you change something else, put a clear disclaimer at the start of the game explaining what was added.
  • After the rating period you can do with it whatever you want of course. :)

oki :)

I know this isn't about the game jam, But can I team up with you for Will You Snail? And can you put Hello AI on Youtube? Please? Mate?

Host

Thanks a lot for your offer. Knowing what you'd like to help with would be useful for a request like this. In general I think we got most things covered, though. The WYS soundtrack will drop on YouTube when the game comes out. Appreciate the support! :)

ok then. I was thinking that I could maybe spot any bugs in the game so you fix them before you release the game when you are finished. I'm good at spotting mistakes and things that are out of place.

Submitted

when, where, how to submit the finished game

Submitted (2 edits)

jonas is gona comment yay

edit its gonna hapen

another edit its actualy gonna hapened (im spamming refresh)

Host

There'll be a big submit button on top of the jam page as soon as it starts. :)

Submitted

thank you :) i dint know because this is my first time actualy submiting the game

Submitted

And if you want to upload a project to itch, go to create->dashboard->create new project to see the actual upload page, there are lots of shiny parameters you can play with to make a nice game page

Submitted

is it ok if i make the game out of square bois

Host

Yes. I guess.

Submitted

Jonas wait did i spell that correctly?

Anyways when is will you snail be relise

And also i want to be in vid pls shout out me game :)

Host

WYS will probably release towards the end of 2021.  Currently aiming for October, but nothing is set into stone yet. Make a good game following the jam topic to increase your chances of ending up in the video. :D

Submitted

:D

can i use the scratch programming language in this jam

Host

Yes, of course. I just recommend going with something that makes it easy for people to download and play your game without having to jump through any extra hoops like downloading additional software.

Although scratch is pretty primitive, there's a way to convert scratch files to HTML so you can actually upload them on itch. You use this program called htmlifier and upload a scratch save file. This can be further uploaded to itch using the normal method. The only caveat is that the files contain ALL of Scratch's code base. Link to the Github: https://sheeptester.github.io/htmlifier/

Per usual, I've used the program before BUT download at your own risk 

If you want a scratch alternative that requires no code I'd recommend Construct 3. It still doesn't require that much code, only a few lines (that you can look up online) It uses block-based coding, although not as childish as Scratch and designed to be a real engine.

thank you for suggesting an alternative but i am in the process of learning other languages

is construct good for 3d

it’s only a 2d engine, so I’d say it’s pretty crappy for 3d

I am good at programming than art . Is it important to good at art to join Jam?

Host

No. You can either team up with an artist or just do crappy programmer art. Both is fine. :)

Thanks for answering 😊

Submitted

is dani joining?

Host(+1)

Not likely. I'd be surprised. :P

Submitted

oh ok

Submitted

Can I livestream the process of making the game?

Submitted

I'm pretty sure you can, I know of several youtubers/streamers that pretty much only make videos/stream about making there game jam game

Host

Of course.

hey jonas, you were a big part of me becoming a game developer. Without you i would not of had the motivation i needed to continue game dev. Just want you to know that. You a good dude!

Host

Appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Submitted

me too!

What is the prize

a shoutout on his channel and maybe a free WYS key

Host(+1)

Both true but the biggest price should be growing as a developer and having a good time. :)

true ;)

just curious, is there a way to make a playable in-browser game with Unity? I'm new to this, is there any build setting for this or something?

Submitted (3 edits) (+4)

Yes there is. You need to build the project with WebGL and then plop the build files into itch.io.

First you open the build settings

Then you switch the platform to WebGL (if it isn’t installed then it will instead ask you to install it)

Then you build the game which will take a while…

Afterwards Unity will open the folder which contains all the files, select all those files and make them into a ZIP

Then on itch change the kind of project to HTML

Lastly, upload the ZIP file on itch and check the “This file will be played in the browser” box to true

Save and view the game page and you should be good to go! If you have any extra questions just ask me.

Host(+2)

Wow. That must be the best answer I've seen in ANY forum for a long time... xD

Submitted

goes into some pretty good detail, most don't do that

Thanks for the help, I'm just new to this whole thing

Submitted

Wow. That has to be the best reply to an answer I’ve seen in ANY forum for a long time… xD

Submitted

when i ATTEMPT to build my game with webGl, it gives error :( sadly.

Submitted

What does the error say?

Submitted

it says smt rly longggg:

FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Users\MatthewZ\OneDrive\Documents\build.bc  Runner\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Native\build.bc" System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at :0) System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share) (at :0) (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare) System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) (at :0) System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path) (at :0) UnityEditor.WebGL.WebGlBuildPostprocessor.LinkBuild (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WebGL/Extensions/Unity.WebGL.extensions/BuildPostprocessor.cs:470) UnityEditor.WebGL.WebGlBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WebGL/Extensions/Unity.WebGL.extensions/BuildPostprocessor.cs:953) UnityEditor.Modules.DefaultBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args, UnityEditor.BuildProperties& outProperties) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/DefaultBuildPostprocessor.cs:27) UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:286) UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Submitted

I think it’s asking for a file that does not exist, hence the FileNotFoundException. It seems to be missing the “C:\Users\MatthewZ\OneDrive\Documents\build.bc Runner\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Native\build.bc”. See if you can find that file and maybe it will work. You should probably also try googling your error and looking for an answer online.

Submitted

ty! im rather new to webgl soooo yea.

Submitted

wow

Submitted

is it too late to respond? anyway,  how long do we have to make games? and also can i use the Scratch game engine?

Host

You'll have 2 days to make games. I might still adjust the end time of the jam a bit, but you'll have at least 48 and at most 72 hours. You can use any engine you want, I just recommend making it easy for people to play the game. If the engine requires any additional downloads for playing games I'd advise against it. :)

Why 2 days and not 4 ?

Host

3 it is. :D

Ok, why 3 days and not 4 ?

Submitted

cuz why not ? Three days is pretty good for a jam

Submitted

Thank you for responding!

Submitted

Scratch is actually very recommended by me because i also use scratch and because you don't have to download anything you just follow the link 

Submitted

Oh yeah! Your Right!

Submitted

The last game jam i was in [BlackThornProd3 Game Jam] it did not let me upload my files, i dont know why, it just did, is there anyway that to stop this from happening again? or just any tips in about uploading?

Submitted

nvm!

Submitted (1 edit)

my pc died... we can use mobile phones to make games... right?(browser games using html)

Host

Sounds tricky, but sure, why not. :)

Submitted

This is gonna be a real challenge now.......

can i make a game for this jam (answer honestly)

Submitted(+1)

yes.

Submitted

I don't know. Can you ?

Deleted 3 years ago
Host

Sure. :)

Deleted 1 year ago
Host

Yeah, sure. If you made it during the jam. :)

What Music software are you using for Will you snail?

(1 edit)

Heyo, random question:

my internet is REALLY slow (like 200KB/s at max), meaning I can't really upload big stuff without losing a lot of time. So is there a way to submit for people like me or do I need to set an additional goal of keeping the size as low as possible?

Best regards from Germany

-Jonas (yes, I am also named Jonas and am from Germany)

No reply? Guess I’ll have to do it that way.

Submitted

What do you recommend to make the game with when making a game for this jam

unity. but i am no game dev. no experience. godot or unity. they have another thread for this if you want.

Submitted

ok I am a very beginner..

Submitted

Scratch or Game-maker studio 2, i would say.

The others have hit the nail on the head. Godot, GMS2 or Unity would be your best bet. Unity is best for tutorials and assets but it’s not the best for 2D. I’m using Godot. It’s simple but takes a while to get your head around it, so learning Godot for a total beginner for a Game Jam might not be the best idea. GMS2 is simple and there’s a free trial for 30 days, it’s probably the quickest to game jam with. Jonas uses GMS2 and is using it for Will You Snail I believe. 

There are others but I’ve no experience with them so can’t comment. Also, one last thing on Godot: it requires a tiny bit more work to get it working on itch for html but it’s not a huge problem. Do not leave exporting to the last minute if you’re going to use Godot. In fact, just don’t leave exporting and uploading to the last minute at all. 

Happy Game jamming no matter what engine you choose :)

epic gamer????

Submitted

What happens if I don't finish my game in time?

You die. . . Just kidding!!!XD If you don't submit your game in time, I don't think the judges can judge your game... But it's just a thought... Other than that I don't know...

Will you be on discord again like you did on the Wowie 2?

Okay i was reading the questions, i got my answer from your comment on another question 👍

how often is this jam held ?

i think its annual

Submitted

Are we able to enter multiple games into the jam?

Submitted

do we have to submit source code or just the game?

This is my first game jam so I don't know my way around here... I would like to ask if we will get a place to upload the video games or if you must use the creator dash board... :/

Make another project on Itch.io, set type video game, and whatever other settings you need. (Browser, downloadable, etc) After that, put on a good cover image, a description, and put your ZIP file in. That is how I do it, at least.  Make sure you submit it to the jam though, and not just to itch.

I hope that made sense, not very good at explaining  :p

if you join, do you HAVE  to make a game.

:/

Host

No

oh yeah. and btw. can you make assets before the jam. for preparation?

Host

YEs

Would making a short ambience audio file count as preparation?

i guess. im makink full sprites with animation. not code tho. i cant code.

and music

new too your game jam,  what does the wowie vote mean?

Host

It is the "Overall Score"

(1 edit)

Jonas, does my game have to be a downloadable executable or can I have it on a web page? (And I don't mean uploading the html file, because my game is going to be made in a way in which you can only get through it by going through a series of pages, which will be uploaded on a website.)

Host

As long as you can submit it here on itch so everybody can find it and vote, it's fine with me. How many people will go test it is a different question I can't answer. Find out if you want. :)

I think I might be able to just upload an html file with the link written on it, should work.

Hey Jonas! I was wondering, can I use any of the Unity Learn base projects, such as Unity Playground or FPS Micro Game?

Host

Of course!

Submitted

If i want to collab with my friend in wowie jam

Does one of us join the jam? or is it okay for us to just join? 

Host

You can both join. One of you submits the game and adds the other as a collaborator. That way both of your itch accounts will show up as the creators and you'll both be able to rate other games. :)

Jonas I can't awesome game ideas please help me

I always stuck at finding game idea's

I want to known how to get awesome ideas

(2 edits)

Jonas has a video on getting ideas if you need it: 

Host

Found an idea already? :)

Submitted

Hey Jonas, when will the 10k WYS wishlist sock reveal happen? Please Jonas… It’s been months since then… and I MUST KNOW WHAT THE SOCK LOOKS LIKE. OK thx bye.

Submitted

pls  jonas yes

Host

There already IS a sock reveal on my channel. Not my problem if you missed it. :P

Submitted

I've seen it lol

(2 edits)

Hallo. This is my first game jam.  Are you able to vote on other devs

projects :)

Submitted

idk I think yes

Host

Yep! :)

Thank You :)

HELP I NEED WOWIE SOUND EFFECT FOR GAME I REALLY NEED IT TO MESS WITH PEOPLE

Host

Oh, are you on Discord? If yes, dm me. We can make it happen.

By: Stupid Robot Fighting

"I have an 11 yr old daughter who will be entering as well. It's our weekend project. 

Can I enter two games under my own account? One being mine and one being hers."

This is a question from someone else but it was not on here and I also wanna know if you can have two games submitted to the jam so yea :) 

( I'll tell him when I get the answer )

(1 edit) (+1)

I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be more efficient to make her an account?

Host

Not entirely sure either... I guess try it out and make a 2nd account if you have to. :)

Submitted (4 edits)

Does age matter? I mean I'm still a kid but I know how to program. I use gamemaker studio, but the first one not the second. Is that a problem? I am participating with a friend. Edit: The post above asks a similar question lol Edit: I cant spell gamemaker lol already 4 edits

(+1)

Im pretty sure since Im still a kid

Submitted(+1)

I hope so, I am still learning game dev but I love it!

Host

It's fine with me. Just note that Itch and Discord both have a minimum age of 13 as specified their terms of use. :)

Submitted

Thanks!

Submitted

I can barely make a game in a week let alone 3 days, should I still just give it a go?

Yeah of course! Even if you don't finish it it will be a fun project!

Host

You can do it!!! :)

Submitted

can u provide me with the link of your texture maker for linux as i am on linux and also as i am pretty bad at art and visual it would be awesome to get premade textures

Host

No. Don't have a Linux version. Sorry. :)

Submitted

No Problem! ill do My Work With Plane textures or make one myself

Wassup Jonas this will be my first game jam also thanks for inspiring me to become a game dev (well at least attempting to become a game dev).

Host

Neeeat. Best of luck! Hope you enjoy the jam! :)

Jonas, due to the nature of my game, I need to upload it on a different website and then have it linked on itch.io, is this okay or dissallowed?

Host

It's fine with me. Maybe see if itch itself has any rules about that, but I think it should be okay. 

Submitted

Any tips on getting to the top 25?

Host

Take a risk with your idea, make a very simple game so you can make it way more polished than everybody else, have a tutorial that is not just a wall of text. There you go. :D

Submitted

thank you very much!

Submitted

where can we post our progress during the jam?

Host

Either on Discord (link on jam page) or on Twitter with #WowieJam3 :)

Submitted

thanks

(+1)

Can I use Scratch?

(+2)

Obviously! you can even use super mario make for the 2DS! (i actaully don't know if you can use mario maker)

Submitted(+2)

I might try that!

Submitted(+1)

I heard there's some tools you can use to change an SB3 file into an EXE file, so sure!

how on earth are there already 2 submissions

Host(+1)

Most likely some people who think this is a free advertisement event for their game. I'll make sure to remove any super obvious entries like that.

Wait, where exactly do you view how many submissions there are?

(1 edit)

Am I allowed to use a sound bite of you yelling "WOWIEEEE" in my game? (I wanna slow it down by orders of magnitude to make some ambient noise.)

Host

Of course. You can also use the original if you want to. Np.

Jonas I am not going to explain myself but do I have the legal rights to use you in my game?

Host

You hereby have my permission which I think should therefore give you the legal rights to do that, yes.

Is it fine if I do that too?

Host

Yes, I really don't mind.

Submitted

Can we reuse code and assets made before the jam ?

Host

Yes

Submitted

You're awesome! Did you know that?

Host(+1)

No u.

hey jonas is it ok if my game ends up being poop?

Host(+1)

Of course.

Submitted

Of course! Because "Failure is progress" in everywhere  (I hope i spelled it true)

Submitted

Hello, I really love the jam theme and started making a game. I’m a GNU/Linux user, and I don’t have the time to setup and rage on a Win10 VM. My question is: Is it allowed to submit a game to this game jam without Windows binaries? I can build for GNU/Linux, FreeBSD if I have time, and will include sources. A competent Windows dev should be hable to find out how to build it ─ I’m not.

Thanks in advance, I wish you have a nice day.

Host(+1)

Yes, sure, it is allowed to do that. Just note that will probably quite heavily affect the amount of people who will test your game. Asking people to download and unzip just a single file can be a stretch sometimes. I doubt anybody will create a win build just to test it. I still absolutely encourage you to go ahead with your plan, just wanted to set your expectations straight. Good luck. :)

I wonder what exactly wowie means?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/submission/1879/Wowie

Host

Overall Score

oh thx (:

Deleted 3 years ago
Host

You can. Just note that the more complicated it is to run / launch a game, the fewer people will play it. Not everybody has Visual Studio installed. Can you run .cs scripts without installing anything? As mentioned, it's fine with me, If possible an exe or something would probably be better.

Submitted

I apologize for putting u into my game without asking you but I did credit you in my game!

Host

All good. That's fine

Submitted

i have never done a game jam before, what should i build to. like webgl

Host

Webgl / Html5 is obviously perfect as that allows people to play it right in the browser. Otherwise an exe for windows works for most people as well. 

Submitted

thanks!

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello jonas, I am a game dev and YouTuber and I was wondering if I was aloud to use footage of your theme reveal video in my video about the jam I just don’t want to get copyrighted. :)

Host

Yes, you won't get copyrighted from me. I licensed some music from an external website so I can't speak for them. The visuals of the video are 100% safe to use, though.

Submitted

Ok, thank you!

Submitted

Is my game submitted?

Host

Check the top right corner of your game's itch page. If it says "Submission to Wowie Jam 3", it is submitted correctly. :)

Submitted

It does. Thank you!

Submitted

Can you feature my game for even a split second in your video?

Host

That will be determined by randomness and the quality of your game. I wish I could try them all but I assume there'll just be too many. :)

Submitted

Thank you for answering! I saw all the comments. It must be a lot of work. Keep working on Will You Snail!

Submitted

I am a kid. My computer hangs (glitches) a lot when running most of the Game Engines, and some are even incompatible with it... That's why I am developing a game in Scratch 3.0 ( scratch.mit.edu ). And that can only be played in-browser. Is it okay?

Host

I think that should be fine. As long as it's easy to launch and doesn't require any additional downloads, being able to play it in the web is actually preferable. :)

Submitted

Okay, thank you!

Submitted

dear Jonas

what if I have I game that does not fit with the theme and is not done

can I submit it (and was made in the jam)

Host

If it was made during the jam, you are allowed to submit! :)

Submitted

yay I can submit,

umm I mean I did  not do that at all

Submitted

I am a kid so hope my game isn't bad. I made it using gamemaker but when I download from website windows says that it is a suspect file, even if I scanned it with Avast antivirus. What should I do?

Host

That's a common issue with game jam games. Windows just blocks everything it doesn't know, it's pretty annoying. There should be a way around it when you click "more information" and "execute anyways" or something like that.

Submitted

Thanks

but the problem is most people dont know maybe and they might think its dangerous. 

Host

A few people will get shied away of course, you're right, but developers who participated in a jam or two are familiar with this issue. No worries.

Submitted

Thanks, I'm new so yeah. Also how can I make my game be more played?  Also can you show it for at least a nanosecond lol.

Im new to game development and could i have some tips? 

Host

Start with small games, learn to finish, keep it fun.
The exact tips depend on your end goal. 

Submitted

Hey Jonas! Will you be streaming random games after the submission time?

Host

Not streaming but putting into a video, yes.

Hopefully I'm allowed to use the wowie jam logo.

Host

Yes

Submitted

Jonas, thank you for hosting this game jam!

Host

Thank you for participating. :)

Submitted

during the week is anyone will be able to vote ?

Host

Yes, this week is voting week. Play and vote as much as you can. :)

Jonas, what font do you use for the wowie jam logo?

Host

Probably Roboto or Open Sans but then I modified it in Photoshop so you won't be able to find a font that looks exactly like that.

Submitted

not exactly related but when is will you snail gonna be relessed?

Host

Aiming roughly for October but there is no official release date yet.

Submitted

Poooog

Submitted

Can I make non-game changing updates (such as editing music or UI design) after the jam ends?

Submitted

If you're going to do that it would be advised to rename the original game "[Game Name] - Jam Version" and make a second one.

Host

Yeah, either that or you just wait till the one week rating period is over. :)

Submitted

ok, thanks

Submitted

Did you join if so did u procrasinate

uuhhhhhh

Submitted

yes. to both

Submitted

is it possible to add team mates after the deadline

Submitted

https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/topic/1238732/is-it-possible-to-add-teammates-af...

Submitted

my web build is not working only a download? Cant fix it now. Is that okay

Host

Sure. You can still fix your web build as long as you don't change anything about the game. Important bug fixes are okay.

Submitted

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted

Wait, 10 minutes still left? The world hasn't ended yet? What a miricle!

Submitted

Can I add Web version after submission is ended?

Host

Yes, as long as you don't update them with any additional content, that's fine. :)

Submitted

What does the Topic mean when rating people’s games? does it mean how good the game used the theme “failure is success” or something else?

Host

Exactly.

Submitted

Jonas I had only 7 mins left to upload game so I didn't upload all the screenshots or the description, can I do it now?

Host

Should be possible, yeah.

Submitted

Is it allowed to report people that post games that cost something.

Host

Yes, if I see any I'll make sure to remove them. Same goes for games that were obviously not created during the jam.

Submitted

PLEASE HELP!! The embed game is not fitting in the manually set size in itch.io although I have kept every size data same as the game which I had previously uploaded in itch, although that game had fitted in the frame perfectly... What do I do!???

Submitted

had the same problem, had to upload a zip file for people to download instead, would love to know if you find out how

Submitted

My game isn't downloadable from before, it's neither a zip file... ( https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/rate/940981 for you to understand what I am trying to say. The actual game is appearing at the top left, very small - although the actual itch.io game page frame is much bigger than that.. That place is being left grey... Whereas in my first project works perfectly fine, in which all the game settings are same as of this (except title, genre, tags, and description) , it is not working...

Submitted

What does the WOWIE rating category mean exactly?

Submitted

I think it means that a game on playing which you will be awe-struck and say "WOW!"...

Jonas says it's general rating.

Submitted (1 edit)

Can I add a webGL version of my game even after the submission period is done? I wouldn't be changing anything just a different way to play.

Edit I have added one, but if told no, would be willing to delete it.

Host

All good, that's fine. :)

Submitted (1 edit)

Jonas why do you spell iron like irean

20:12
Host

Cause I can't English.

Submitted

No you can.

Submitted

Hello Jonas! I have submitted my game called Failing Space : Second Chance to wowie jam 3. But for some reason when I go on other people's submission it says :

"You are unable to rate this project because you have not submitted your own entry. You can leave a comment below though."

Can you please help?

Thank you!

Host

You sure you submitted the game correctly? Is there a "Submission to Wowie Jam 3" banner in the top right corner of your game page? If so, it must be an itch bug...

Submitted

Not sure what happened but thank you for being a caring host and adding my work :) 

Submitted

im I alowed to make small patches (bugfixes) after i make the game?

Host

Important fixes that are necessary to play the game: yes.
Fixes for graphics, mechanics, polish: no.

Host

In short: Fixing the game is okay, but improving it not.

Host

Ehhhh... that doesn't make any sense either.... you get what I mean.

Submitted

ok thanks, my game was somewhat unplayable due to bugs

Submitted

Hey Jonas! I was wondering if you could tell me why my game won't show up in any category except for all? https://c0d3d.itch.io/inhabitant It should be under pc but since it isn't it won't get played since few people rate in all categories. Any info would help! Thanks!

Host

I think you need to mark your game as a windows build in the game settings on itch. There should be a dropdown or a checkmark or something. :)

Submitted

Jonas just asking quickly I found a bug that breaks the last level of my game and makes it unbeatable can I update the build?

Host

Yes. Game breaking bug fixes are okay.

Submitted

Would you judge/check the games after the 1 week rating time? Or have you already started doing that?

Does that mean that I can do stuff like make the build take up less space by deleting the editor files?

how do i vote for a game?

Host

You go to submissions and then click on a game. There you should be able to see and create ratings. :)

Submitted

I don't know how to rate a game...Please help

Submitted

Go here - https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/entries . Now Click on any game you want to rate.  Now you will find a 'Rate for Wowie Jam 3.0' on the top right of that game page. Click on that. You will be taken to a webpage. You will find 7 sections with 5 stars in each. According to each category, select the number of stars. Then Click 'Save rating' (Below those sections) and you are done!

Submitted

Thanks!

Submitted

No problem!

Submitted

Oh, without following the first two steps, there is a direct way to reach a game. You can just click the 'Submitted' beside any comment in this community tab to go to his/her submitted game.

Submitted

oh thanks😊😊

Submitted

How do we rate on simplicity? should we base it on how simple the game is mechanically, or how easy it is to follow?

Submitted

if the art, the core idea, the core game is simple, then it should get a pretty good rate in simplicity.

Host(+1)

I'd say simplicity means: Not having any unnecessary elements.

Submitted

Oh, s***, I might of made a huge oopsie...

Submitted

Is it ok to remove bugs, minor things etc. during VOtimg time ?

Submitted

no

Host

Fixing bugs or adding new builds for other platforms is fine. Adding content or additional polish is not and will lead to disqualification if we catch you. :P
My bad for the confusion. Should have stated that more clearly somewhere where it's more visible. Will do better next time.

Submitted

Thanks

Submitted

I got 2 questions for ya, So the top 25 most rated games you’ll be playing most of them right? Also, are you still doing Honorable Mentions?

Host

We'll see, we'll see. Not sure yet.

Submitted

Can I change the cover image of my game?

Submitted

I would like to know that too

Host

Yes.

i know i sound stupid, and i already know the answer, but... do i need to have CREATED a game to have submitted to RATE a game?

Submitted

yes i think

ok coll i was confused why it said i couldnt vote because i didnt make a submision. maybe one day when i know how to make games...

Submitted

Its not that hard anymore, it used to be super duper hard to make games tbh, but now, unity have defenetily made stuff much more eaiser

Submitted (1 edit)

am i allowed to change level design so that it can be completed and get rid of bugs that make the game uncompletable

Submitted

if its not a major unplayable bug, .. A Solid No.

If it is however a major unplayable bug, … Then yes

Host

Making your game playable is fine. Any other improvements are not. If making your game playable requires any big changes (like adding new mechanics or content), then it's a no for those as well.

Submitted

ok, ty jonas :D

Submitted (4 edits)

I would like to make a review on my youtube channel of my favourite games of the jam at the end of it. I have 2 questions:

1) Who do I need to credit in the youtube video description? Only the Game name and the developers or do I also need to mention the musician/Artists that the devs credited in their videos? Do i need to make a link to their submission page or is it up to me if I want to do that?

2) Do I need any form of consent from the Devs to make a video about their games?

Host

In my personal experience no developer will ever complain about somebody showing off their game in a YouTube video. The more credit you give, the happier they'll be about it. The music thing is not that big of a deal, you just gotta make sure not to play any music that'll get your channel copyright striked. Giving credit usually doesn't change much about that. 

Submitted (1 edit)

ty for the answer! How can I know if the background music that the devs are using in their games will get my channel copyright striked?  What do i need to check to be sure the music I will play is "safe" ?

Submitted

Usualy in game jam games, people don’t make their own music, they just grab no copyrighted one’s, but better ask the dev just in case :D

Submitted

What's your yt channel name?

Submitted

Axiom GameLabs     https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG7hPd9zygq7bqK--evM-EA

(1 edit)

How do we find our game once we have submitted? Because I submitted but it says I can't rate... (:worried_face)

Submitted

wait, u CAN rate?

or cant?

Sorry typo :)

Submitted

xD :)

Submitted

Hello! Is there a minimum number of ratings u need in order to get a good placement? :D thx

Host (1 edit)

No, but out of experience I can tell that the winning games usually have a lot of ratings, because their thumbnails tend to be better than average. There is correlation, but not necessarily causation, if that makes any sense. :D

Submitted

thank you!

Submitted

The more ratings I get, the less popular I get...

Is that normal ? I feel like if I did not advertised my game so much I would still be in the top 20. Not asking about the quality of my game ^^` but I wonder if  I did the right thing since a lot of games more popular than me have less than 35 ratings and I'm over 100.

Can I do stuff like: deleting the editor settings files, or changing the platform of the game, etc. After the jam?

Host

Fixing bugs to make the game playable is allowed during the rating period. Any other improvements are not.  After the rating period the game is all yours and you can do as you please. :)

Submitted

Hello, Jonas!

Just wanted to first say that this game jam was incredibly fun! Thanks for hosting it :D

My question is, I know you said it's fine to add a version for different platforms and fix urgent bugs after the submission period is over. I did that I added a webGL version and fixed a few bugs. But as I did that I added a restart button just in case anyone runs into any bugs I didn't notice.

Is it fine for the addition of that button, or should I remove it?

Submitted

Yo Jonas!

My question for you is: Since you are going to make a youtube video out of this, and you posted that the video is coming up "soon", when do you usually start playing the games and getting content for your video, is it during the start of the rating period (monday / tuesday) or at the end / after the rating period?

Submitted

i wonder how a game is actually gonna be placed better in results, like a game that’s having 100+ rates, but only had 2 stars at wowie, is it better then one that have 20 rates, but 5 stars at wowie ?

Submitted (2 edits)

If someone reports one of the comments of the people commenting my game in the submission page as "spam" i get a notification. Then i get asked to "mark as resolved" or "ignore". What do i have to do? Do i risk my submission page getting deleted if I do not resolve the issue myself?

Submitted

i don’t think you will loose your entire submission, but i think its better dealing with it tbh

Submitted

Wait, if you get one rating, but it's the best rating you can get, do you automatically win?

Submitted

I also have questions about the scoring so I can understand it better for next time.

In nearly each category there are games with less than the average number of ratings in the top 5. Does getting less but higher quality ratings lead to a higher score?

The results page says our scores are adjusted from raw scores based on the medium ratings, despite getting higher than the medium ratings, my score == raw score. How does this work?

Was there a karma system involved?

Submitted

I'm not jonas, but if this jam works like others I've been in I might know how it works.

The median was 10 ratings, and it reduces your score if you have less than the median, but doesn't change it if you have more than median. So you would only get your score reduced if you have less than 10. 

That's why I wouldn't buy into the whole getting your game rated as much as possible craze, unless it is solely for the purpose of getting as much feedback as possible. In every single big jam I've joined (except one), the winner has been a game with just barely enough ratings to avoid getting their score adjusted. So yeah, essentially getting less but more quality ratings does lead to a higher score, because there's less of a chance for more people to see it and rate it poorly.

Hope this answered some of your questions, but then again the scoring system doesn't really matter so I wouldn't but too much stake in it, it's more about if you got quality feedback and learned from the jam

Submitted

That helps, thanks :)

Submitted

glad it helped!

Submitted(+1)

How can the top 10 winners get in touch to get a will you snail stram key?

Is there a stream that you make where you play the jam submissions ?

Viewing posts 21 to 140 of 140 · Previous page · First page