Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Answering All Questions About The Jam Sticky

A topic by Jonas Tyroller created Jan 01, 2021 Views: 7,062 Replies: 417
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 140 · Next page · Last page
Host(+14)

Post any question you have about the game jam here. I'll answer them as soon as jonasly possible. :)

Submitted(+11)

I have a question. When will Jonasly be added to the dictionary?

Host(+11)

Yesterday.

Submitted(+6)

AMAZING!

Submitted
Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted(+1)

Do you have(or would you be able to make) a video that talks about things that a first time game jam participant(of which i am one) should know?

brackeys has a video on the subject

Submitted(+2)

He already made several videos on the game jam topic. You can look for them on his Youtube channel.

Here's a start:

Submitted(+2)

thanks I'll take a look at them

Host(+2)

What Yän said, the most important tips are also on the Jam page. 
Are all of the rules and the general "game jam" procedure clear to you?
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any concrete questions. :)

Submitted

Yup, completely clear :)

I was want to tell you thanks for all the videos you make, its helped me learn so much about game dev and what it is like to ve a game dev. I just started being a game developer, I posted v0.0.1 Battle Slime(my first game) a couple of days ago, its not much yet but this is just the prototype and it will get a lot better.

Host(+3)

Nice. Happy to hear that. Keep it up. :)

Submitted

Thanks, I will :D

Submitted

Are we allowed to use any engine we want?

Submitted(+5)

I'm pretty sure you can, don't take my word for it though, im personally going to us godot

Submitted

Ok, thanks!

Submitted(+9)

GODOT GANG

(+4)

Godot ftw!

Submitted

wanna team up with me? i use godot too i am a good programmer just collisions confuses me, if intrested pls dm me on discord Manas#4493

Submitted

sorry but I would rather do this on myself, this is my first game jam and I am new to game development in gener(also, I don't think I'm any better at collision myself).

Host(+1)

Yes. Use any engine you want. It's usually a big advantage if players don't have to download the engine in order to play the game, though. :P

Submitted

Alright, so Unreal, Unity, or GMS2 should work. Thanks.   :)

Submitted

Does age matter? I mean I'm still a kid but I know how to program. I use gamemaker studio, but the first one not the second. Is that a problem? I am participating with a friend, but we arent in a team but we are helping eachother

Submitted(+1)

I don't think age should matter. I'm a kid too, but I've participated in many jams before. I've never seen a jam where age is a rule.

Everyone is accepted!  :)

im very young but i can make games i will join

Submitted

Yeah!

Submitted

Are we allowed to use assets from the Unity Asset Store?

Submitted(+2)

Yes but disclose your sources in the description

Host(+3)

Exactly, just be transparent about what you made yourself. :)

Submitted

thanks

Just wondering, (This is my first Game Jam) when does voting open/close.

Host(+1)

Voting opens as soon as the main part of the jam ends. From that point on you'll have roughly one week to play and rate games from other participants. :)

(1 edit) (-1)

Hi Jonas,

I'd like to suggest www.replicastudios.com be added to the list of free sound libraries that can be used for this game jam!

Replica make AI voices for games and movies, and we have a free trial period that should be sufficient for teams participating.

You can listen to demo samples here before you sign up for an account : www.replicastudios.com/unreal

All the best!

- Shreyas @ Replica Studios. 

Submitted(+1)

Hi Shreyas. Little bit of feedback here: for occasions such as this, it would be a ton more attractive and accessible if it didn't require making an account just to try it.

Good luck

(+2)(-1)

Thank you for the feedback :)

(1 edit) (+1)

My first game jam here. Is it OK if I add a base mechanic from another game I'm making to my submissions? And also, thank you for inspiring me into joining gamedev.

Host(+1)

Yup. Recycling old code and assets is allowed. No need to make everything from scratch. The majority of the game should still be created during the jam, though.
Se reusing a mechanic and maybe some code: Yes.
Taking a finished game and just slightly changing it up: No!

(1 edit)

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your help. I was just gonna take the first person movement mechanic, to save some time for more polish and WOWIE!

Host(+1)

Yeah, that's absolutely fine, especially considering the fact that there are tons of free assets on the asset store that do the same thing.

Deleted 3 years ago
Host

A functional laptop and mouse should be enough. :)

Thank you :)

Submitted

Wait but making a 3D Base kit & then using it as a base does it count ??

like if i take my own 3D FPS Kit & use it does this be allowed ?

(+1)

If the kit is almost the entire game then no but if its just some features ex:   movement and a gun system then yes.

Submitted

Actually the kit is only a movement, & some sprits :D

Thats fine

(+9)

Everyone asking about the Jam but no one asking how are you.

Host(+8)

No worries, I'm fine. :)

my computer runs on a potato, can I moove over a fps character the day before, then wait a day before I do anything?

Yeah, I think so, but you'll waste alot of time.

Why's that?

I mean it's a game jam, every minute counts.

I mean in the Saturday, place a fps character in an empty project, then on Sunday after church, work some more on it

Host(+1)

Sure, why not. 

That's fine, I thought like skip a whole day.It's ur time after all

Would using an launcher / updater (in this case Redlabs Update Utility) be alright? Also, would anyone even bother with the extra wait time of a launcher? (you have to initially download it, and then it has to download another file)

Host(+2)

It's allowed in the jam but in my personal experience it would mean that almost nobody would play it. The maximum amount of effort people usually go through in order to play a game is downloading and double clicking it in their downloads folder. Even that can be a big ask sometimes compared to playing it right in the browser.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense (:

can we colb and use  pre made asset  

Host

Yes and yes.

and music ?? btw big fan of yours :)

like cn we use other pre made non copyright music 

Host

You're allowed to use all resources you're legally allowed to use. Please pay attention to copyright, but other than that it's totally fine, yes. :)

(1 edit)

btw cn u check my 2 games or 1st (aka my first game) and 2nd (aka my first jam game) plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in this account only https://jagad.itch.io/

Can Unreal Engine be used?

Submitted

Yes, use any engine you like

wait is the theme sticky or  something else and if its not sticky then what does sticky mean

Host

This post is sticky. That simply means that it will STICK at the top of the forum so everybody can always easily find it. The theme of the jam will be announced when the jam starts. There'll be a video and it'll be clearly visible directly on the jam page. :)

Submitted

What does the rating category WOWIE mean? Does it mean how much the game makes you go "WOW" or does it mean something else?

Host(+1)

I'll leave the nuances up to your interpretation. It's just important to know that it's the primary ranking factor for games at the end. So it's pretty much what other jams call "Overall Rating".

Submitted

Understood! Thanks for clearing that up.

Submitted

I live in new jersey, What time will the jam start?

Host(+1)

Check the top of the jam page. Itch will show starting time and date there adjusted to your local time zone. It also wouldn't hurt to check again a few days before the jam starts as the specific start time might still be moved a few hours forwards or backwards depending on community feedback. :)

Submitted

ok thanks Jonas :)

Submitted

Super exited fir the jam, see you there!

If i submit a game on this jam, do i need to keep it free and untouched even after the jam has been finished... or can i work on it, post it as a demo and, in a future, put a price on it when its completly polished and ready for selling?

Host

The game and all the rights for it stay with you of course so you can do with it whatever you want. For the sake of fairness I'd just ask you not to update the game during the one week rating period please. :)

Submitted

I think you should keep the jam version up but you probably could post a second version that you improved after the  jam

First of all hello everyone!
I left in Stand By an idea of making a visual novel / graphic adventure, all done in paint using renpy.
That falls under the qualification of not coding from scratch? since the into if I have done it (I'm now with a VN since November and I haven't touched any of that, in fact the VN itself in my Itch is my first foray into this world)!
Also, I have not read in the rules, but maybe as you may notice, I use translator, in such a case that this project could get to enter the Jam (it is only 3 days from the date, no?) it must be in English only? (I write in Spanish, actually).
Thanks for reading!

Submitted(+3)

I think that if you don't type in english, even if it's legit by the rules, others won't read your stuff, which is usually important, when you want players to learn what your game is about.

Host(+1)

Agree. You can do it but I'm not sure how many people will be able to read it if it's Spanish. :)

Thank you very much for responding!
I understand, I could use the translator (although I have not received good reviews for it in the VN!) or maybe I could try to do something else written in neutral Spanish so that the translator is more faithful, although that in a jam would be "extra time"! I'll see what to do, thanks in advance!

I'd be able to read it because I am doing spanish at school. (I'm still in year 8)

Hello

I have participated in game jams before (only mini jams) and I was wondering if there was some changes compared to that, like you just have to play by the rules and submit before the deadline right ? also thanks Jonas for hosting a game jam, I'm a big fan of game jams :p

Host(+2)

Happy to heart that and great to have you on board. Yep, standard game jam rules apply. I announce a topic, we make games, we rate them and most importantly we hopefully learn some new stuff and have fun. :)

is it worth it?

Host(+1)

That depends on you and what you see as worthwhile. It's not for everybody. ;)

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 140 · Next page · Last page