Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

New to making games? Not sure where to start? This thread is for you!

A topic by outstar created Oct 30, 2021 Views: 1,112 Replies: 35
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Host(+4)

Hey, I'm Outstar, I work for World of Darkness and I'm the organizer of this competition! I love game jams since I joined my first one back 8 years ago (whew, time flies!), so I'd love to help you out in making your first steps into the exciting world of jamming. 

First, I'd love to invite you for our official workshop today on World of Darkness Twitch at 6 PM CEST / 9 AM PST, helpful for beginners and anyone who wants to get some inspiration! The stream will be archived both on Twitch and YouTube. 

Second, if you have any questions about where to start, feel free to leave them in this thread, so either me or other community members could help you out. You're not alone in this!

Can you speak to whether the judges have a preferred length for a game's playtime?

Host

No preference, just make sure to scope it down to a game that can be finished on your part in 1 month. It's easy to go overboard! 

If we find we need more time for the judging period because of the amount of games or their average length, we'll prolong the voting period and let participants know!

Thank you! Really looking forward to this!

Ideas: how do I get them?

Seriously, I鈥檓 having trouble coming up with ideas. What鈥檚 a good methodology for coming up with game ideas?

Host (1 edit) (+1)

Good question! For one, there are actually game idea generators out there, so you can always try them out and see if you find anything interesting (just replace the setting with "Vampire" by default): https://letsmakeagame.net/game-idea-generator/

Second, try to find inspirations! Any other games you played that you particularly enjoyed, and mechanics you thought would be great to redo? You can open a Vampire book on a random page and find something interesting there, read it in the search for stories to inspire you, browse Vampire tag on itch and see if anything gives you a "I want this, but different" idea. 

Good luck!

Submitted

Quick question, is it within the boundaries of the legal stuff to use the official Discipline icons? For example, using the chain icon for Dominate skills in my game, as well as the clan icons. Thanks!

Host (1 edit)

Yes, you can even download them from Account section on WoD website. I'm aware of some of the problems with the pack (few symbols are not transparent), but I plan to fix that next week.

Submitted

Thanks! If there's issues with the transparency and stuff I can just wait.

Host

Discipline symbols should be fine, I found one clan symbol and one clan typography had white background, but this will be updated :)

Submitted

Regarding this rule:

7. The Game must be provided for free and only on www.itch.io. In accordance with the Dark Pack, you are allowed to accept donations for your time and materials through Patreon, Youtube & Twitch subscriptions, or similar services.

I'm writing a text-based game using ChoiceScript. Can I post my working draft on a hosting site like DashingDon so that people can playtest my game and help me debug it before I submit to itch.io? If so, I would (of course) take it down at the end of the license period. Thanks for your help and for putting this together!

Host(+1)

As long as it's just a WIP for the duration of the game jam, no problem - you can also upload a WIP version to itch and update it before the jam is over 馃憤馃徎

Hey Outstar! I just wanted to first say I'm a fan of yours from your YouTube. Its really funny I saw this jam before I even realized you hosted it and I thought about how I'd learned alot of what I know about VTM from you and that it would be awesome to get in on this. As for my actual question: Do we need to buy a 5th edition rulebook to use a reference for any of the RPG mechanics we use in the project.

I don't think it's necesarry unless you're building a really detailed RPG. I found the fan wiki so far covered all my needs. 

Host

Nope, no need to buy the book in any scenario, if you want your mechanics to be similar to the particular ones from the book, you can always ask on Discord (or here) and people will help you out! 

Submitted

Is NSFW allowed in the game?

Host(+1)

Yes, just make sure to tag it appropriately in your Itch submission, and if any content warnings apply, it's good to put them in your game first and foremost. 

Hello. I'm interested in the Jam, but I have to know. Does it have TO BE in the VTMB universe, or just inspired by it? And, can I make anything? Like, Action RPG, Hack and slash...

Host(+1)

Hey, It's a VTM game jam, so we expect a connection to VTM - one of the judging criteria is adherence to the setting. 

(1 edit)

Great. And the gameplay? Can I make anything? The rules include 3D game, so I had to ask. 

Host

Any video game whatsoever, can be 3D, 2D, text game, etc. 

(1 edit)

Hi Outstar. I have always been fascinated by the Tremere, am I allowed to take license and create a bit of a history about a dirty little secret the Tremere created when they were trying to prolong their lives through experimentation and vampirism?

Host(+1)

If you want to make a video game about Tremere, the license allows you to do it only within this game jam (so, within its duration, and by its rules). If you think more of a novel, etc., please check out Storytellers Vault. Feel free to read both STV guidelines and Dark Pack agreement for full information what is allowed where! 

Deleted 2 years ago

Thank you very much, will do.

How do I art? While programming is something I鈥檓 quite good at, drawing things is not something I consider to be a strength. However, I don鈥檛 just want to make a text adventure or the like because I already have an idea I quite like. It does need some form of art and I don鈥檛 really know how to make it. It鈥檚 like, I have an idea of what the game would look like in my head but I don鈥檛 know how to turn that into graphics? If that makes sense?

Host(+2)

Sure! Learning how to draw from scratch is fun, but if you want solid results in one month, I recommend using one of the many free libraries of assets online. Open Game Art, Pexels, freepik and many others - I'm sure you can find something fitting your game after looking for a while.

In some cases, it might be possible to get great results in a month by just using references and trying to recreate them - especially useful with pixel art or very simple 2D art. In this case, download GIMP or other free art software and try to copy someone else's work at first just to learn how they did it, then do your own. It might be hard with more advanced digital painting style, though.  

That makes sense. I have a book on how to make pixel art, so I鈥檒l probably try to make some pixel art. I think the main trouble will be trying to make a tile set and character sprites.

Hi, I make pixel art. Let me know if you'd like my help for this jam. Here's some of my stuff  https://www.develteam.com/Developer/Yeramia

My Discord is Yeramia#4753  I'll respond quickest on there

I like your name Ashton Snapp. I just woke up, and found this. I have very little programming experience, outside of the creation kit from TES.   I would like to start learning how to code so I just bought an Alienware Aurora R13 to kickstart my creative interests. In all honesty I didn't read the terms of service on this one. So if I could make a game with my current skillset I would do more of an interactive show, but I don't know if that's a plausible argument with the terms of the pack. I would probably use Snapchat to shoot the videos, seeing how I'm not active on any other socials currently. It's also a very valid platform for video editing, if you know what people like. So Ashton I really like your username, and I'm really loving this world of darkness material. 

Yo what's up boss

Submitted

Hi, I saw the Jam on itch.io and when I started looking for information on VTM it really fascinated me, but now that I have started developing my game, I have several questions about concepts that I would like someone to tell me if they are well implemented. The idea of my game is that you are part of the nosferatu clan and due to the arrival of the second inquisition and the fall of ShreckNET, the player must complete missions ordered by the Camarilla in broad daylight, and the entire game will be based on no break the masquerade.

I was completely unaware of The world of darkness, and the whole plot seems quite complex to me, so I would like to know if I did a good job with the general idea of my game :)

Host(+1)

Your plot makes perfect sense! In order to walk in the daylight, the player needs to be either a ghoul (human who is being fed vampire blood and works for Camarilla), or a Thin-Blood (high generation vampire whose vitae is "diluted" enough they seem quite human, and some can walk in daylight without any issues). 

Anybody have tips for virtual instruments/soundfonts? So far I have some okay-sounding virtual instruments, but when I look for things like soundfonts or 16bit type of stuff to work with, it's always from licensed video games / sound that's just ripped from there. I've been trying to look into it, but the sheer amount of stuff out there is a little overwhelming. If anybody has some go-tos that they would recommend, I'd really appreciate it :']

Deflemask? https://designingsound.org/2018/10/22/making-retro-video-game-sounds/

Submitted

Can judges play VR games? I think my game will only be able to be played with Oculus on PC. Trying to do something different and almost done with levels so hope you can play. 

For my game you are a new vampire with no memory. You are told to kill someone and drink blood then can re-enter base. Killing anyone not told to is lose, sun is death. Will be 3 mission/days. Start, OpenWorld, Club, and Church are the areas I have done. Your clan is not know as you come in not knowing anything and just told things by who sired you. The leader of this group is in torpor and you have been recruited to be a guard.

Host

As long as there won't be too many hoops to jump to play it on Oculus, it should be fine!