Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I didn't get 5 stars for making the game in 3 hours

A topic by Evs created Apr 01, 2020 Views: 134 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

On my game, Bonkers Bolts (https://itch.io/jam/trijam-63/rate/596819), someone did not vote 5 stars on the "made in 3 hours category", and so my score is lower than it should be. Can this be fixed?

Jam Host(+1)

I don't think it can be fixed at this point. I can see the frustration with objective information being valued subjectively. Do you think we should go back to not rating this aspect of Trijam?

Submitted(+1)

I think that may be the best option. Is there another way to measure this? How were you doing this before?

Jam Host(+2)

Before it wasn't measured, if the winner made the game for over 3 hours, the game would be disqualified from winning. However, there have been cases when games were made in 3 hours and 5 minutes, 10 minutes, which on one hand is insignificant, but there is disagreement, should it be counted or not. This is why we added the rating, so that people could make their decision, whether it's bad or good enough. Aggregated rating should be more precise, however when a game has been made in 3 hours and is rated less is weird. :D No idea why people would rate it less. That said, other ratings are also not set properly often times, for example, when art assets or sound assets are used from other sources. People should consider it and put less than 5 stars, which doesn't happen always. What do you do to make it objective? The best option in my opinion is to focus on your growth as a game developer and do your best to rate the games properly.

If you have some good ideas to improve the current rating system, you're welcomed to share.

Submitted

Ah, I see the problem. Perhaps it should be that stars each have a specified threshold, for example:
5 stars = less than or equal to 3 hours
4 stars = less than or equal to 3h10m
1 star = over 3h30m
What do you think? This would have to be made clear somewhere in an always-viewed section of the jam so people actually follow it!

But in any case I have changed my mine such that I think the new rating system for it should stay, because it is more important to learn as a developer than to receive an accurate reward for only 3 hours of effort.

Submitted

No, I like the new rating system.