Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Available character and tile editors? Sprite editors?

A topic by johanberntsson created Sep 25, 2021 Views: 446 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 6

I'm planning something with tiled graphics using a 256 colour character set, and probably some sprites. I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel, so I wonder if there are any usable tools for this purpose. I'm especially interested in a character editor which supports the new MEGA65 modes. I know of the sprite editor in the freeze menu, but I'm not sure how to get it working with the emulator, and I don't have access to any devkit, so any pointers on how to get it working would also be helpful. Thanks!

look at asaprite 

its on itch.io

asaprite is cool, but I read the documentation and I don't see it being able to save in MEGA65 formats. What I'm interested in is something that saves as a memory dump that I can bload directly into memory and use. If I use asaprite then I need to convert the output from png or similar to MEGA65 binary formats. Is there such a tool?

Host

Checkout the excellent scripts found here: https://github.com/JettMonstersGoBoom/Mega65

Or my less than excellent WIP script at: https://github.com/smnjameson/M65_Examples/blob/main/_include/aseparse65/asp65.j...

At the very least theres will give you an insight of how to write exporting tools and convertors for Aseprite.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the scripts and see if I can figure out how to use them

(2 edits)

I have very WIPpy support for the charset (only) currently in C64Studio. It’s just enough so I can write my game entry. This means character set (FCM mode) and character screen, plus the obligatory C64 hires, MC and ECM modes.

If you’re feeling adventurous look at https://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/C64StudioRelease.zip

And yes, it’s really WIP. Some things may not work properly.

The new C64Studio support sounds great, but unfortunately the link doesn't work.

Argh, I’ve typed the link thousands of times, but the one time I didn’t check it. Fixed, thanks!

Thanks, now the link works

Hi @Shallan, I cannot make aseparse65 work... First time using node actually, so perhaps there is something missing on my setup (using Linux):

node ../_include/aseparse65/asp65 sprites -i ./assets/sprite.aseprite -d -p -o ./assets/sprites -s 2
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:638
     throw err;
     ^  
Error: Cannot find module 'ase-parser'
     at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:636:15)
     at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:562:25)
     at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:692:17)
     at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:25:18)
     at Object.<anonymous> (/home/riq/src/mega65/M65_Examples/_include/aseparse65/asp65.js:1:18)
     at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:778:30)
     at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:789:10)
     at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:653:32)
     at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:593:12)
     at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:585:3)</anonymous>

Any ideas? thanks!

Host(+1)

Once you have node installed , navigate to the aseparse65 folder in a command prompt/terminal and type:

npm install

This will install the dependencies required to run the parser. Please not however the parser is very WIP I just shared to give a starting point for people, it may or may not suit your needs

yay, it is working now :) ty!