SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Launceston: Introduce Yourself!

A topic by duckytape created Sep 10, 2015 Views: 379 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Jam Host

Welcome to the inaugural TasJam!

We're very excited to have you join us for Tasmania's first statewide games jam and hope you're ready to get into it come Saturday morning! Before we get into it though, we thought you might like this chance to introduce yourselves; Who are you? What games do you like playing? What ideas and skills can you bring to a team? What are you most excited about for TasJam? If you had to fight a horse-sized duck or 100 duck-sized horses, which would you choose? Banana vs Pineapple? ... You get the gist.

To help you out I'll get the ball rolling:

Hello everyone! I'm mostly known as Ducky.

I'm a part-time web developer at a local web agency, as well as a university student. My majors are in Games Technology and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and on top of these I'm also very interested in Human Computer Interaction (HCI). I used to mainly play first person shooters (CS:S!), but have significantly broadened my tastes since I left college and now have a shamefully large backlog of games I'm working through (darn you steam sales!). I am also absolutely loving the board game renaissance happening at the moment!

Other than playing and making games in my spare time, sometimes I like to introduce coding to people by teaching them how to make simple games in python, and learning more myself! ... Oh and I have a very cute dog called Ada.

Anyway enough about me! How about you?

Submitted(+1)

Hello! My name is Nathaniel, although I also am know as Nat, Natbott and Natbug.

I'm a college student who has done a lot of work with video games and education throughout my secondary schooling. I'm a volunteer at QVMAG and help to organise and run their Minecraft workshops in the holidays. I'm also an artist and graphic designer in training (I made the poster and logo for TasJam =P) and I dabble in philosophy, creative writing and, very briefly, technical theatre.

I loving playing lots of different games but I am currently stuck in the massive black hole that is MOBAs (DOTA, LOL, HOTS, Smite. I play 'em all!)

Host

Hey everyone, this is super exciting!

I'm Jason Imms, mostly known as Jason.

I'm a games journalist, working primarily for Hyper Magazine, games.on.net, PC PowerPlay, and PC & Tech Authority, but with bylines appearing all over the place. I'm also the founder of the Tasmanian Gamdev Society, which I will now plug: Come and join the Tasmanian Gamedev Society! Learn who else is making games in our fine state, and take advantage of the wonderful opportunities that come from being a part of the broader Australian gamedev community (woah look at that, two plugs. SOMEONE CALL RIPLEY'S).

I have never been to a game jam in my life, so organising one has been a pretty interesting process. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you all produce. While I won't be on-site at the Launceston event I'm 100% confident that James is going to CRUSH IT, and I'm really excited to have a chance to start making some games-related connections in the north of the state. We'd love to see TasGDS expand to cover more than just the people I've stumbled across on social media, so please add yourselves to the group and let's aim to get regular meetups happening outside of just Hobart!

While I don't make games, as someone that has grown up with them and now covers them for a living, I find the process of designing and making them utterly intriguing. I can't wait to see it happening first-hand, right here in my wonderful home state.

Best of luck!

@jasonimms | jason@allegedlyinteresting.com