Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Draft of Submission uses real life figures as NPCs

A topic by CrayLives created Oct 16, 2022 Views: 117 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

I have written up a scenario for Liminal Horror that is loosely inspired by the production of Nosferatu. It features the real life theft of FW Murnau's skull as a plot point, as well as the production designer appearing as a vampire. Looking for a second opinion on if the names should be changed as to avoid potential legal trouble, it's hard for me to say for certain as Murnau has been dead for nearly a century and the film itself is 100 years old. 

Would it be safe to publish as is or should the pseudo-historical background be changed for legal security?

I'd change the name to Mornau or Morano or whatever. Thats easy. Murnane. If unsure, play safe, always. ALWAYS.

HostSubmitted

I brought the question to the discord. 

Consensus is you’re well within the rights, especially given the distance in time (and how people make things about actual events). 

Based on real people and events and the like. 

But some do posit that shifting names keeps from overstepping on real people. 

I don’t think there’s a right answer outside of what you’re comfortable with. Especially given the time since the events. 

Submitted(+1)

Just couldn't give up the original context without it losing some of its flavor. If the scenario runs into trouble in the future I'll rewrite it but I'm proud of this one.

Posted it here!

Thanks again GA!

HostSubmitted

fuck yeah I love it!