Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Theme?

A topic by Rucksack created Aug 30, 2021 Views: 891 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 11

Will there be a theme for the jam? Personally, I would like to have one, it makes it easier to start a game. Otherwise there are too many possibilities.

I don't thing there's a set theme, but we could group up and have similar theme.

Submitted(+5)

The theme is "learn about Godot Engine"

This game jam is meant for beginners I guess, so a theme is not nessessary.

A theme would help to ensure people do not get a head start in building their game. As in, the theme would be announced at the beginning of the jam. Not like it's a competition though

HostSubmitted(+1)

Yeah, this right here is *exactly* the motivation with themes - to keep things fair. Not really an issue for this jam, I think!

I agree, I don't think there's any concern of people getting a head start when there's no judging, no prize, and the goal is just to learn a little Godot :D

We all win - and if someone starts early, they just get to learn more!

HostSubmitted(+4)

Eh, I don't think we need a theme. If people really want one, the theme can be "keep it simple" :D

Deleted post
Submitted(+1)

If you need motivation for something simple, a great resource (even for serious projects) are old game manuals, some of these look like design documents.

A great site for this kind of resources is https://www.atariage.com

For example take a look at this page of the manual of Human Cannonball

Open a book at a random page, pick a random word or phrase - there's your theme.  Or repeat until you have a few that spark off each other.

HostSubmitted(+3)

The more I think about it, "Keep It Simple" is actually a great theme for this jam. So that's officially going to be it!

Submitted(+1)

gdi Terry, I was all set to go hog bananas with overscoping and now you pull this manoeuvre

If anyone wants to quickly generate a game idea, I've created this little tool:
https://gameideagenerator.online/