Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

So how is everyone getting on?

A topic by Nick Wheeler created Jun 08, 2016 Views: 1,685 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 15
(5 edits) (+2)

Well we've just passed a week, and I'm doing...well, ok I guess.

I'm currently attempting to recreate the episode 'The Changeling' from TOS as a classic Sierra point and click. Creating an entire (albeit short) point and click adventure in 30 days was always going to be tricky, so I admit I cheated and started a little early. Even so, the likelihood of me finishing in time is still pretty much slim to none.

photo advent_zps1dglhpeb.png

Pretty much all areas of the ship are done, some to a higher quality than others. At the moment the game is basically one large cutscene, so now I have to start slicing it up a little more and sticking some puzzles in. With time being short, it's never going to be a huge inventory-combining quest, more of a Telltale style 'choose your dialogue-option to affect the story' kind of thing.

At the very least, it's pushing me to work harder on a game than I ever have in the past, so even if I don't manage to finish in time, I'm still hoping to have something to show for my tribbles...I mean troubles.

photo chatter_zpsnnva6zmo.png

What about you? What are you working on? Is it going well, or are you banging your head against a brick wall?

Submitted(+1)

<

What you've posted is really cool! The first Trek game I ever played was Judgement Rites, and this is really taking me back there.

I wouldn't stress about finishing on time. Given 30 days, I don't think anyone is going to turn their nose up at you for posting something that isn't 100% complete. You can always keep working on it after the fact, if you're still feeling it.

For my game, I've spent my time thus far working on modelling the interior of the player's ship. I'm doing something in the spiritual vein of Trek rather than trying to reproduce something from the franchise verbatim. The broad idea is to let players swap out parts in engineering and customize the ship to do different stuff. I'm taking inspiration from the tendency of the Enterprise crew to make stuff up invent solutions by jury-rigging systems together. Y'know "what if we channel the phaser banks through the main deflector dish", etc.

I'm not where I planned to be at the one week mark either, though. The issue I have right now is that, with the rate the model work is progressing, it looks like I'm only going to be able to devote about two weeks of the jam to coding. I was expecting more like three, so I'm having to re-plan what I want to do in terms of things like mission objectives and crew behavior. I've already pretty much abandoned the idea of away missions (at least until after the Jam's over) and I'm on the fence about whether I have enough time for a couple of other things.

(3 edits) (+1)

@NickWheeler

That looks phantastic. I really like the oldschool style.

------

I am trying to make a first person dungeon crawler with random turn based battles (like Shining in the Darkness or the dungeon sections from Phantasy Star 1).

The coding stuff is pretty much done (maze rendering, battle system, controls). I need to draw some enemy sprites and the game needs a few cutscenes. A bit of music would be nice as well. Not sure if I can finish it in time. Semester finals are coming up next month and I need to learn.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi All!

I am having too much fun making this :)

I am creating a Wario Ware style minigame rush collection based on the plot of star trek 2. Delivering key lines from the film, moving the enterprise, firing torpedoes, cleaning out the dilithium crystal, shouting Khan!.... it's all there!

So far I have made the Reliant (My favorite) the enterprise, some crew, the neutral zone, a multiple choice system, a klingon battle cruiser, basic versions of some music and the start sequence. Here are some snips!

https://vine.co/v/iYxTPvvpvJA

https://t.co/1hzyO4PaYP

(+1)

Taking all bets! NOMAD versus Ensign Rickie. Who will win, who will have his atoms scattered across dimensions?

photo secbattle_zpsdws23pdy.png

These all look great! I wish I had the time and experience to participate. Curious what engine everyone is using.

I'm using Adventure Game Studio, which in my opinion is unbeatable when it comes to making point and click adventures.

As for everyone else, it's a bit of a mix of Unity & UE4 I believe.

Submitted

AGS is pretty awesome. Everyone's games look great!

Hey guys,

Only saw the jam on the 17th so under a lot of pressure. Just cant turn down the opportunity to build a Star Trek game. :D

We decided to build an RTS game set 500 years after the Romulans broke away from the Vulcans. With the pretense that they at some point in impulse only ships tried to invade the then primitive Klingon home world (you can guess more or less how that would go).

Here is a little eye candy from the current build.

In game Klingons

If you keen to know more or see what units we planning you can look on our wiki (design guide).

http://info.celestial-games.com/doku.php?id=taok

Looking good, everyone!

I signed up for this specifically, but haven't had the time I'd have liked this month. Right now I have a little framework in Unity going, branching between scenes etc.

My day job is game development (on the art side), so for this I want to do something w/ light coding, and something more punky than I get to do at work.

Let's see how far I get.

(1 edit)

Whoops, didn't mean to kill the thread ;)

Seems I didn't get far at all, have been reinventing a few wheels and making... Punky art stuff. I'm going to keep plugging on some of this.

It moves kinda nicely. Next: Text shenanigans.

ETA: You can kinda see that one of the ethical problems you can roll is "Dealing with post-scarcity."

Hey guys. Sadly we just had too many interruptions over the last two weeks. We wont be ready to release with the Jam. (Got pretty close but that is still a miss :) )

We will still finish the game and just release it for fun.

Here some shots of the current build.

If you would like to see more for them you can visit our wiki.

http://info.celestial-games.com/doku.php?id=taok:screenshots

Look forward to playing some of the entries that made the deadline.

Submitted

Finished my game in the last hour of the jam, thought I'd have more time but fixing a major bug took a while.

Originally the game was going to be an rts but it never worked quite right so I decided to make a simple space shooter instead. The game doesn't look great but I'm pretty sure everything at least works.

Normally I have a hard time sticking with a project for more then a week or two so I'm glad I stuck with this one.

As can be seen by my lack of entry, I didn't get the time to make something for this jam.

Anyone else up for the idea of having a repeat next year or something?

(1 edit)

Nick,

I would like to find a basic artist who can make backgrounds like this for AGS.

I had once got fairly far into creating a Trek game in AGS. Here is a link to some of the work we did only got as far as a Demo.

http://www.adventurefans.net/shop/article/star-tre...

We had a team working on it that was pretty far along with it and with everyone being beginners it was a rather impressive project for our skill level at the time. We set our goals a little to high at the time and that combined with issues like one team member being deployed overseas, One going though a divorce, One getting married and all sorts of life changes the team fell apart half way along the way. But it was indeed some of the most fun I ever had. I vowed I would come back and at some point finish an AGS project that was trek related at some point.

After seeing your graphics and art I enjoyed the simple old school graphics that still caught the feel very much of early Trek.

It has inspired me to once again now that I have more time on my hands to dig into a Trek adventure. I can program but am not much of an artist at all even simple art is not my thing. I quite clearly suck at any artistic things like that.

I would like to do an AGS Trek Project that is not a full game but rather the basis for a Game or for others to make their own.

I always loved adventure games and Judgement rights and 25th anniversary was my favorite Trek Games. One thing I always hated about games like that though was that you could never fully explore the Enterprise. You got to see rooms based on Plot or areas would be blocked off to prevent you from truly having open world on the ship. Now I understand why it is done like that.

But I always wanted to see an adventure game where you could be on the bridge and go to the turbolift and go to all the decks and see all the rooms and interact with the ship as if you were really aboard a star ship.

I even mapped out how I would do it programming wise for instance a large number of decks would use the same floor plan for the hallways and such so you could create one series of backgrounds for the corridors and as you entered one room or another a script would fire and decide what deck you was on and take you to a different room giving the appearance of much more backgrounds then there really was. simple things like changing some of the wall art as objects here or there could make the decks look slightly different. The entire ship could be layed out with basically just the main rooms we seen on the show and one set of backgrounds for corridors. Not as much work as it sounds actually.

My goal would be to have someone make the backgrounds I would need and then allow me to lay them out in AGS and program everything where you could explore the ship and interact with it in many cool ways.

No story or plot just exploration and interacting with the environment and ship.

Leave it at the moment as a springboard to go back later and be able to push out some trek adventures whenever I wanted or if the artist was willing release the project as a means of having the basics for others to release their own trek adventures.

If it worked well other areas like basic planet backgrounds or classic trek locations and such could be added as well as a sprite pack with most main characters and animations from the series.

Seems like a lot but without the stress of a story, plot and all that at the moment and mainly just art creation and interactions it would me a much easier project then it sounds and could be simply worked on as one had time

Would you be into considering working on this with me?

If not the whole project would you be willing to share the art you did for the above project and allow me to play around with trying to test my skills again at some art myself? Or possibly helping just with a few backgrounds ?

Hi James,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you - I don't tend to check here very often. I'd be happy to send over the backgrounds and sprites I've produced, (minus a couple I'm holding back for if I ever finish the episode). My time is extremely limited, so unfortunately I'm not able to offer much beyond that.

To be honest, my plan was always to basically produce the main areas of the ship and just drop them onto the AGS community anyway to see if anyone wanted to mess around with them, so don't feel guilty about asking.

Let me know your email address, either here or give me a prod on Twitter (@nwheeler_cmp) and I'll try and send them over when I have time.

(1 edit)

Hey Nick,

My email is jamesreg1973@gmail.com

I never got a notification of your reply I am still very interested in any star trek related stuff you would be willing to share with me. Backgrounds, sprites or anything really.  Depending on what you got I might throw together a small game with it or they will more then likely be used as placeholders for a larger trek project I am working on. Thanks again or the offer to share sorry It took me so long to get back to you. We been remaking some of the original series episodes with fill in art right now we just finished city on the edge of forever the other day. If you want or would like to beta test any of these let me know. I am working between two different artist and trying to make a deal with them right now for the final art but your stuff will help us move forward quite a bit.

(1 edit)

Hi James, 

You'll probably see the email before this reply, but I've just sent over what I've got. 

Have fun and best of luck with your project.