Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions & Answers Sticky

A topic by Nai @ MakeVisualNovels created Jul 14, 2021 Views: 2,115 Replies: 51
Viewing posts 4 to 23 of 23 · Previous page · First page

Hello. I would like to ask a question. Is there anything not specified in the main rules overview that would be considered too much (even with content warnings)?

Host (3 edits)

Many of such instances would be handled on a case by case basis.  We got this question a bit last year as well, but in different forms:

A few quick, hard answers on some of the more common things:

Gore itself permitted when it is explicitly warned for.

Depictions of suicide are allowed when it is explicitly warned for.  Mentions of suicide are allowed, and we encourage warning for it.  Please distinguish between mentions and depictions in your warnings.  Encouragement or glorification of suicide is strongly discouraged.

Sexually explicit content is expressly forbidden from the entries as per the rules.  Anything as an extension of that would follow as well.  You can update your entries at a later point to include it.

Anything that could be constituted as hateful messaging or imagery.  Things that encourage racism, sexism or other discrimination against peoples.  

Harassment or encouraged harassment of real peoples.

This list is not exhaustive.  I would urge entrants to exercise good common sense regarding the content they enter into the contest.

Edit:

And, of course, feel free to ask ahead of time about your project/scene ideas either here or in our Discord.

Thank you! I'll take that into consideration.

What constitutes as gore for the sake of the jam? Like GORE gore, or will any blood do?

Hi,
Is there a minimum required length for submissions or minimum number of assets? Is a choice based storyline required or would a linear submission be acceptable? Would it potentially be acceptable for the game to contain a few mini stories rather than a single narrative? I have a vague idea of what I'd like to do but would like to plan a tiny bit ahead to organise if I need a team and what I might need to sort out before the start. Thanks!

Host (1 edit)

> Is there a minimum required length for submissions or minimum number of assets?

There is no minimum or maximum word count or assets.  If you want to go minimalistic or all out, that's fine by us.

> Is a choice based storyline required or would a linear submission be acceptable?

Both very acceptable.  

>Would it potentially be acceptable for the game to contain a few mini stories rather than a single narrative?

That's a pretty cool idea!  Kind of like a 'Campfire Ghost Stories' thing where more than one story gets told.  That's acceptable, exciting to think about even!

> I have a vague idea of what I'd like to do but would like to plan a tiny bit ahead to organise if I need a team and what I might need to sort out before the start. Thanks!

Good luck!  If you find yourself in need of a team, make sure you join our Discord.  We have two big team building events on the 21st and 28th for anyone looking for teams that hasn't found one yet.

Thanks for the reply! That sounds great, I should be ok for a team as I'll either work with the people I'm already working on my main project with or ask a few friends if they want to get involved. I'll probably join the Discord anyway. Thanks again!

Can we submit the submission to other jams too?

Host

You're welcome to submit your Spooktober entries to other jams.

If you are making an entry for another jam, it will only be valid if it meets all of Spooktober's criteria, including limiting your work period to our jam period.

Okay, understood. Thanks for answering. :)

Submitted

If we are creating a Halloween spinoff of an existing game, is it alright to reuse many of the already existing assets (like many of the sprites and backgrounds)? Or would these need to be redone in order to qualify for the Jam?

Host

In the instance you are making a Halloween DLC style entry of your existing visual novel, you may only use backgrounds and UI elements from the original if they have Spooktober VN Jam themed elements added to them(e.g, Halloween decorations, horror genre props, etc,) if they don't already have them. 

You are not permitted to bring over music, sfx, or sprites, or any other unmentioned assets, unless they fall into the realm of publicly available resources rules as listed on the jam page.

For sprites, you're allowed to use the original sprites as a concept for new sprites. In the interest of fairness in the jam, you'll need to recreate them.  For purposes of judging, I will say the higher the deviation from the original sprites, while still being recognizable as the characters, the better.  New outfits and/or costumes are a good start.

For music, themed remixes of your originals are an acceptable replacement for the original music.

Code, especially for minigames or non-visual novel mechanics, is handled on a case by case basis.  If you have code you'd like to bring over, please discuss it with us first.  Thus far, we've permitted the use of RPG-like code from a RenPy made original game on the basis that much of its code would be available in another VN-capable engine like RPG Maker out of the box.  As a general rule, code that would normally be available out of the box in another engine is most likely okay, but we need to be made aware of it.  For judging purposes, I will say entirely new mechanics is favorable to reused ones.

We'll add a link to this question on the page for the rules regarding DLC/Spinoffs.

Submitted

Thank you very much for the answer! That sounds like a fair way to judge the entries.

(1 edit)

So does that mean, that if I have commissioned sprites, i have to re commission everything (characters, faces, outfits,...)after the jam starts?

Host
In the interest of fairness in the jam, you'll need to recreate them.

You'll need to have them remade if you're making a spinoff/DLC entry for an existing work.  It's up to you how that happens, whether you have your commissioned artist create them or an artist recruited specifically for the jam.

Can I make VR Game?

Host

You're welcome to participate in the jam with a VR VN submission, but I have not required the judges to own or use VR equipment, and odds are you won't be eligible for prizes if the submission requires special hardware to play.

Hello, I was wondering the parameters for working with a team? I have a friend who is interested in doing the character art for me but I don't think they have an itch.io page. Do they need to have one in order to participate? How does submitting with multiple people work? Thank you!

Technically only the project lead (who I assume would be you) needs an itch account to be able to enter and submit to any game jam. Should your friend make an account themselves, you should be able to add them as a Contributor on the game following these steps:

1. Locate the game on your dashboard and click Edit
  2. In the More tab to the right, click the dropdown and select Admins
  3. Enter in their Username or Profile URL at the bottom and hit the Add Admin button
  4. Send the URL you receive to your teammate so they can confirm

Oh ok good to know, thank you! (I think I'd seen other jams that required everyone on the team to be added as Contributors so I wasn't sure if that was the usual process.) Thank you!

Host

While we strongly urge all participants to have an itch.io account and join the jam, strictly the jam only needs one person with one, and then everyone who has participated in the submission needs to be credited in the fashion of their choosing both in the submission fields and in the executable itself.  

Hey, are we allowed to use creative commons assets not developed by us for the jam? Specifically music tracks, sprites etc? Or does it have to be original artwork and music?

Host

You may! Third party assets are allowed (not just CC, but also paid or otherwise licensable) if they re publicly available to everyone to use or purchase.  

Quick note for everyone reading: The spirit of this is a level playing field for participants, so while it's allowable by the letter of the rule, some obvious loop holes are frowned upon. One such example of such a loop hole is making your own assets CC just prior to the jam starting and saying they're publicly available on your own website.

Ah, Thanks for clarifying! <3

We have a bunch of Sci-Fi themed CC assets available for anyone to use, with a few more coming this month. I probably won't be using these for Spooktober, but anyone needing portraits with expressions are welcome to use them.

Host

Hey, thanks for clarifying that.  I'll make a thread for CC assets if anyone wants to share them there too.

Submitted

Hello~ Will it affect the judgement if we submit a non-finished game/demo instead of a full game for the jam? If we only submit a demo, will it fall under the rule of disqualifying us from prizes because we, in a way, ask for extensions?

Host

There is no strict ruling that an incomplete or demo submission counts against any submitting teams, however the trend has been more often than not completed but short VNs have been leaders in terms of judging over the past two years. 

As long as what you worked on is submitted before the deadline, it will be counted whether it's a complete experience or not. Many teams make demos as part of this jam to begin work on a product they intend on finishing at a later date, and we love that.

Submitted

Hi, if the game have the appropiate warnings, it's ok to mention some complicated topics like suicide, as they do in Doki Doki Literature Club?

Host (2 edits)

Depictions of suicide are allowed when it is explicitly warned for. Mentions of suicide are allowed, and we encourage warning for it. Please distinguish between mentions and depictions in your warnings. Encouragement or glorification of suicide is strongly discouraged.

I've also added this statement to the above thread where we cover some other sensitive material.  

https://itch.io/post/4145704

Submitted

Thanks!

With the "creepypasta version of one of your existing games" option, I'm assuming that it would be okay to reuse assets from that game or would I have to remake them?  Is it also okay if there's no Halloween decorations or assets in the creepypasta version?  These are probably really strange questions, but I just want to be absolutely sure before I decide on what I want to do.

Host

This is a great question!  No worries.  Please check out this response regarding Halloween DLC/Fandisk style content.  It covers the topic.

https://itch.io/post/4185478

hi! instead of recording a video can I draw one?

Host

Videos are only required if you're a streamer entering for the live performance part.   Otherwise, submissions are visual novels.

(1 edit)

About VN genre. 

There are some VNs like Danganronpa that includes 3D environment for investigation. What exactly are restrictions for an VN? Other that lots of text. How about mixing it with 2D environment like RPG or Platformer for investigation? Would that be considered as VN or not?

I recall Ace Attorney Investigation has 2D RPG-like environment, too. So, what exactly the restriction?

Host (1 edit)

We're open to interpretation on what constitutes a VN. Hybrid games are allowed.  We've yet to disqualify anyone who has attempted a hybrid VN.

See also https://itch.io/post/4069397

Can I use commercially available third party assets that I own so long as they are available for purchase currently (if I'm reading that rule correctly)?

Also, can I submit what I have done right now and then keep working on it until the deadline while updating it until then?

Host

Yes, you can use commercially available assets and asset generators.

You may submit one project as many times as you want.  The very last submission you make before the deadline is the one that will be reviewed.

Thanks for the clarification!

Submitted

Is it ok to use music from artists that did not take part in the jam?

For example, is it ok to use a song by a specific artist after asking them for their permission?

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi, I forgot to mention my game "No Late Returns" has a reference to suicide in it. I forgot because it's a paranormal character who isn't really dead. But, it is worth mentioning all the same. Thank you.

Submitted

Hey there--- 

My project ("Locked Room") is ready for submission, but it was a minute off because of Butler and internet connection :( Any wiggle room for submission now?

(+2)

Hello! I like to stream/record playthroughs and I noticed that it's being encouraged to post a video about this game jam. My question is what sort of content is appropriate? For example, is it more of a general overview about the Spooktober visual novel jam, or can it just be a Let's Play on one of the submissions? Also, would I simply create a new thread here and post the video?

Thank you for your time!

Hmmmm...

Interest?

Viewing posts 4 to 23 of 23 · Previous page · First page