Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs

Don't want to be a party pooper, but...

A topic by N8ZSF created Feb 17, 2019 Views: 156 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit) (+1)(-1)

Hello,

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I wanted to bring to somebody in a position of power's attention, the fact that a theme such as "Space Opera" is rather vast and ambiguous, and not very definitive, which (I guess if this is your goal) will result in either a diverse set of end results (games) or it will quagmire the developers in this jam and force everyone to panicked-rush to complete their productions by the deadline.

Personally, I already know what game I want to make, the type & the plot altogether. I've been itching to do a literal space operetta since I first heard Pavarotti while sitting in a aisle at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago a few decades ago. But I'm just saying this because not everyone is going to know how to process the concept of a space opera. For total n00bs, think "Star Wars" - it's a classic space opera!

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm a bit on the Autistic side so if anything I say is unintelligible or sounds deranged... well, there you go.

Best regards.

~ Nathan

Submitted (1 edit)

It sounded very intelligble to me! I think you have provided a great definition of Space Opera. :)  As far as I can tell most operas  tend to be unwieldy and ambigious monostrosities, which quite often are their appeal. As regards to the jam, I imagine the expansive nature of the theme was  very much intended to produe a diverse set of results. Personally I find this very appealing . I often prefer jams or projects with no theme whatsoever (though I can see why others may not be so comfortable). I get a sort of theme cabin-fever. That is probably my art school background talking however! I guess its a matter of working best with your instincts  :D

Actually, I pulled out of the science fiction / space opera game jam, for personal reasons... so I'm not going to be making any space tenor/space operetta style games for this game jam at all. Furthermore, I'm kinda regretting my involvement in short-term time-range game jams (I am currently only engaged in 1 game jam, and it doesn't end for another 2 years or so - and it's in progress as we converse right now), so I've pulled out of all game jams that last less than a month or end in less than half a year. I had a rash of jam joinings and jam submissions while I was in a manic mood, and then I got depressed over it, so now I'm trying to take it easy for the while.

In a nutshell, I'm not participating in this game jam anymore, but I appreciate your response.

Submitted(+1)

Your honesty is refreshing. I've only just started up here, so perhaps I'm little too fresh faced to make comment. I wish you good luck!