Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Blackbird Squadron

A topic by capybarbarian created Mar 04, 2022 Views: 61 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

When I was 12, we got cable TV -- before that, we just had OTA TV, so we had the national channels of the Netherlands, Belgium and (then West-)Germany. Obviously, having so much more TV available was a really interesting proposition for a young and slightly lonely boy.

I don't know when I saw my first episode of Robotech, the 'bastardized' version of three Japanese 'mecha' anime, but I do know that It was on the so-called 'Super Channel' and that I dropped in halfway the Mospeada arc. I started watching it religiously, even though it was on kinda early (I think around 08:00 AM?) which also meant that nobody was bothering me while I watched on the living room TV (the only TV in the house). When Mospeada was done, the channel just restarted from the start, and I got to see the rest -- most notably the Macross arc.

If the words 'Pineapple salad' mean anything to you, then you will know the exact moment I became a life-time Macross fan. I think many people my age had the same experience.

Of course, there are Macross RPGs and many generic mecha RPGs -- but all of those tend to focus on the mechanics of the mecha combat. Arguably the most important thing in a mecha series, except it isn't -- mecha series are about the characters and their relationships. It's true for Macross, for Gundam, for many, many others. So none of the mecha RPGs I read really scratched that itch.

So I started to make my own.

I present to you "Blackbird Squadron", a variant of John Harper's "Lady Blackbird", set in a, ahem, "Macross-inspired" setting. Yes, there is mecha combat, but the 'refreshment scenes' also push inter-character relationships and drama.

Please have a look at it, and please let me know what you think.

HostSubmitted

I was also a big robotech fan as a kid! This sounds great! I'm not familiar with Lady Blackbird and im a lil brainfried so im having trouble diving into it, but I look forward to checking it out once my brain clears up xD