Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Results Sticky

A topic by fredrikr created May 18, 2021 Views: 173 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
HostSubmitted

The results have now been included on the main jam page: https://itch.io/jam/punyjam1

Submitted(+2)

I have played and completed all the games in PunyJam #1 and must say that I was really impressed with the overall quality. When you consider that most of the entrants were using Inform 6 for the first time (and Inform 6 is not easy to learn), you should all be congratulated. If you didn't rate as highly as you'd like, don't be disheartened. Use this as a learning experience, try doing a post-jam release, then start on your next game. You won't regret it.

For myself, I had to learn a new library, design, code and test 'Captain Cutter's Treasure' in just three weeks. That was a real challenge...a challenge that I thoroughly enjoyed. Although this was my first game using PunyInform, I had been using Inform 6 for a number of years, so I had a head start in that area. This allowed me to write a technically sophisticated game that was still fun to play and had some great puzzles. It's had a great reception (except on IFDB, for some reason) and the feedback has been very positive and very helpful.

I would really like to thank my play testers: Dee Cooke, Tristin Grizel Dean, Christopher Merriner and Joshua Wilson. The final game is much, much better for their input. I cannot over emphasise the importance of testing and listening to your testers. Your testers are your best friends.

Little did I know that Joshua would be the runner-up in the jam. After playing his game, I'm not surprised. It's a really fun game with an original concept and an interesting spin on magic. My only complaint was that it was a bit tedious to play and it took me about three days (with Joshua's hints) to get a full score and full karma. Given that the jam is a popularity vote, and my game is probably a bit hard, I wouldn't have been surprised if Joshua had won top place. As it happened, the ratings couldn't have been any closer.

I would like to send a big thank you to Fredrik Ramsberg for organising the jam and for answering all my questions on the Discord server. Speaking of which, I'd also like to thank Jason Oakley for starting the Discord server in the first place. I think it's been a great success.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm hoping there will be a PunyJam #2 and that it will become a regular event.

Submitted(+3)

I had some goals this year of 1) joining the IF community and 2) finishing a game.

I have now accomplished those goals, and additionally 3) learned two new programming languages (Inform 6 and Adventuron), 4) engaged the subtleties of divergent functional libraries related to the language (Puny vs Standard), 5) made many new friends all around the globe and 6) somehow I have 8 twitter followers? I need to tweet something sometime.

In addition to the above, the jam has introduced me to the retro computing scene, which is very interesting.  My Amiga was wiped out by a basement flood decades ago and my diskettes of BASIC code likewise consigned to landfills across the world over the years.  It charms me that antique tech continues to serve as a lively medium for artistic expression worldwide.

The knowledge and supportiveness of the PunyInform gurus are remarkable.  I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

It's a tad disappointing to miss the Top Spot by 0.01; it is not the first time that I have a missed a Top Spot by 0.01.  Little competitions like this remind me of a hard-earned life truth: competition is real, but cruelty is a choice.  In a world where not everyone can win what they want, it is enough when people are genuinely warm and kind and part of one's foundation for future growth.  This jam has been a concrete example of how that can work.