SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Final thoughts on mspaint

A topic by Cristian Pintos created May 02, 2021 Views: 445 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

never again. 

jokes aside, was a pretty fun handicap but really tedious. Here's the funniest things I didn't imagine that would be part of the handicap of using the old school paint.

1. To set the dimensions of the project I had to drag the corner and check out the numbers on the bottom right, pinpoint accuracy just to get my correct dimensions
  2. I made my palette outside of paint, and when it was time to import it I had to manually set the 3 RGB values  for each color because there was no hex. Then I realized that my custom colors didn't even show up in the bottom bar xD So I had to open that back from the menu bar  each time I wanted to choose a color.
  3. 3 Undos, crazy how even after the first time I constantly forgot this was a thing
  4. Weird bug with a wacom tablet where it didnt draw straight away
  5. No hotkeys, had to switch tools from the toolbar D:
  6. Although I knew I had no layers I had actually forgotten how much I depend on them. I had to treat some stuff like paper, where I drew over sketches and cleaned it up and some other things I had to make a reference for myself so I could get a clean idea of what I was making.

How was your experience with paint?

Also here's an early wip

Submitted

my friend drew pixel art in paint, somehow it added noise automatically when drawing with a brush, so it turned out pretty good!

Submitted

teach me lol, now that you say that I really missed clipping masks and not being able to add textures. I think that was the worst thing D:

Submitted

he used just a normal brush with smallest size possible, and Windows’ 10 paint did the thing :p

Submitted

haha nice, thats def a positive experience

Submitted

When I drew a sprite for the game, I felt that this is all I can do in ms paint and that feeling made me relax.  All the sprites become together and creates the style of the game. I really enjoyed drawing in ms paint.

Submitted

glad to hear you had fun with it :)

Submitted

> to set the dimensions of the project
jspaint.app (which I used) actually has resize dialog under Image > Attributes (and if I remember correctly this is same as in old Win98 Paint)

> I made my palette outside of paint
the trick was to actually make palette/template image and then use picker to pick these colors

> layers...
this is biggest difference between old paint and new modern editors. There are some tricks how to emulate layers using copypasting and multiple instances of paint, but I actually forgot how this was done back in the days. We probably don't cared about this as we were just kids playing with computer.

I actually like painting in mspaint, probably because I was used to in past.

Submitted (1 edit)

1. Ouch lol, yeah like everything else hindsight or further time would have led to these discoveries but since I only had one night I went with the first solutions I saw.

2. This is one of the ones I realized once I was done and had a clear head

3. Mm thats interesting, not sure how that would work since theres no transparency but if you happen to find more info I'd love to know more about it. Maybe they just had save states instead of layers, parts of my process involved drawing over my previous stuff and erasing.

Yeah haha, initially I thought that too. I remember in 96-98 when I was a kid and I drew and printed artwork from paint. I used to make a lot of lines and fill in the gaps. True visionary...

But the reality was far from it, trying to do what I do in PS nowadays was pretty rough. Fun, but rough

Submitted

3 undos? Are you still running on 95?

Submitted

I downloaded the original paint for this challenge for extra "fun"

Submitted

Wow, I didn't know it was possible

In comparison to traditional art though, 3 undos is still pretty good

Submitted

True haha, but it was a sort of habit that I kept forgetting I only had 3. Then I had to pull out the eraser

Submitted

Additional issue: limited brush sizes! I lost count of how many times I tried to increase the brush size past its max limit :')

Submitted

me who was used to ms paint bc i doodle in it all the time: