Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Why can't we just post to itch?

A topic by Cerbyo created Jul 03, 2022 Views: 235 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

"You must submit the original recording in either .mp3, .wav or .flac on itch.io AND on another streaming service of your choice (preferably Soundcloud), ..."

Can you elaborate on the logic of this? I don't follow. Why is posting on itch, we can play it on the site and allow direct download of the file, not sufficient? If it has to do with using another site's piracy verification then....it really has to be specific sites u have us choose, and even then that logic doesn't holdup. 

And mp3 is legacy format....it's like distribution of a game on a floppy disk. A proper lossey option is needed..... aac.....vorbis in a .ogg....etc.

Submitted

I think it's to help verify that you are the original creator and that you didn't cheat and make the tracks before the jam, also people are much more likely to listen to tracks that are on an external streaming site.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Itch.io does not have a music player, so the voters must download the tracks in order to listen to it, which was unintuitive and a hassle to do as they are not only listening to one entry. Based on past jams, submissions which only submits on itch.io and does not upload their tracks on streaming sites gets less ratings than ones that do, so we decided to make it a requirement to make it fair for everyone, and it makes rating a lot easier as well.

As for the file type, we chose .mp3 as it's the most common and every computer should be able to play it, and it's also pretty small. It's also to keep it consistent across all entries. There are also lossless options (.wav and .flac). Hope this makes sense!

Submitted(+1)

Can I just be a nerd for a second and point out that MP3 doesn't loop which makes it a horrible format for video games and should not be encouraged? Just some food for thought from those of us who do a lot of stem work lol. - Will.

No audio format loops, it is totally up to the player, but I see what you mean. And mp3 is a horrible format for several reasons.