Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions! Sticky

A topic by Lone Rabbit created Oct 17, 2021 Views: 1,201 Replies: 40
Viewing posts 1 to 20
HostSubmitted

Feel free to ask questions about the jam here!

For those whose music get featured at the end on streaming services, will it include credit of the composer?

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Yes of course! You can check out the previous ones here. (scroll to bottom) ^^

(1 edit)

Hey uh...why don't you accept .ogg? Just wondering.

HostSubmitted

.ogg isn't used as much compared to .mp3 and .wav files in general, we also want the submissions to be submitted in a format most people uses for more convenience and consistency across submissions.

Damn. That's okay. I just am one of the few that uses it.

Question!

I'll participate in this jam alongside another one, which already started (it began the 1st and ends the 31rd). I had planned to use the OST made in this one for the other jam, will my submission still be accepted?  Answer n°6 says No, it is required that all participants compose an original soundtrack for a game that does not yet exist before the jam. That means soundtracks created for other game jams that starts after this jam can be submitted, but I just want to make sure

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Hey! Soundtracks created for other game jams that starts after this jam can be submitted, but soundtracks created for other games (for a game jam or not) before this jam starts cannot be submitted. Does that help?

how to submit I'm new to itch

HostSubmitted

There's a how-to guide here!

lol its over this is still helpful thx

I dont know how to make music but I want to learn :" )

HostSubmitted

Hey! There is a discord server you can join, there are some helpful people in there that could help you get started, otherwise I think YouTube is a good starting place, or if not then I think just experiment and play around with some programs or DAWs, that’s how I got started ^^

Is there any age limit and can u be in teams?

HostSubmitted

Nope, there isn’t an age limit and you can be in teams of up to 3 ^^

Deleted 1 year ago
HostSubmitted
Just a link to your own soundcloud, not uploaded there as well?

No, it is the link to the tracks that other people can listen to.

Can I provide a "private youtube link" to the screen recording of my songs, or does it need to be public for all to see?

It should be public (or unlisted on YouTube) so people with the link can still see it. Alternatively, you can just provide screenshots instead, which is allowed.

Hope this helps ^^

Hi,
I'm a music producer interested in starting to produce music for video games, is there any free good resources I can look at about who to produce for video games?

Really wanting to start this jam or any other :)

I hope this is allowed - here's a link to a small collection of free resources focussing on game audio I put together:  
https://eike.notion.site/Free-Audio-Resources-0f3c17c185f64287a8de7ee16b6153df

Let me know if you have any questions (or suggestions, it's a work in progress) :)

Thanks Thimras,
I was looking more about resources on how to make an ost, I already make music hehehe.

Ah, sorry - my bad :D In that case, look for interviews/articles by Winifred Phillips. If she doesn't know it, you probably won't need it for a while... :D

Deleted 2 years ago

are you on discord? just DM your user and we talk :)

could i like make a “game” where it tells you the story, and lets you view the ost?

HostSubmitted

Sure! You can, but that's optional of course.

Submitted

It says we can't manipulate the vote in any way, but are we allowed to share the contest with other people just in case they wanted to listen and take a part in the vote or join themselves?

HostSubmitted

Yes of course! There'll be a system in place for those who didn't submit to rate a number of submissions from a randomized list before they can vote submissions of their choice, so don't worry about it too much! ^^

Submitted (1 edit)

Can you hire me if all goes well? XD In all seriousness, are there any sites to find commission work, that you would recommend?

Submitted

Does the OST have to correlate with the theme in some way? I noticed in the rating section that we'll be judged on the correlation to the theme, but after the jam started I started working on the idea I had but didn't look at the theme and I'm not sure if I can connect the idea I have to the theme.

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Yep, it does. There’ll be a field specifically for you to explain how your submission fits the theme. If you really can’t connect it, as long as you can back it up with some explanation, you’ll be alright!

Submitted

Oï !!!!
Just a quick quick question
Can i register the tracks to my PRO after the jam ends ?

I plan on releasing them myself on bandcamp at some point, i just want to be sure they are safe to be put out there (sry i'm just a bit paranoid about all that)

HostSubmitted

Hi!

Can i register the tracks to my PRO after the jam ends ?

I believe you can, yes. However, I'm not sure if it will be eligible to be in the compilation album (if qualified) or not, but I think if you give the appropriate permissions and consent then I'm pretty sure it will be alright. 

I plan on releasing them myself on bandcamp at some point, i just want to be sure they are safe to be put out there (sry i'm just a bit paranoid about all that)

Yes of course! You can release them anywhere you want, it's your soundtrack after all! We don't own anything you submit. ^^

Submitted

Mmmh
It's really so that i can get royalty from streaming really 
i saw the youtube compilation is posted under "Various Artists"
Maybe (on the off-chance i'm qualified ^^) if i post it on my Youtube channel and you can include the vid in the playlist as you see fit (kind of like the Spotify playlist where each track is listed as coming from it's author/artist)

I'm gonna ask around, and prepare an authorization just in case :) 

HostSubmitted

Ah, about that, you will already get the majority cut of the streaming royalties from the distributor we use, so rest assured you'll get your streaming royalities either way ^^. 

These streaming royalties are from all of the streaming services btw, including Spotify and YouTube, that's why they're posted on a topic channel so they can be monetized.

Submitted

Ok
Thanks for the clarification :)
I'll see with my PRO if i actually need to register it then ^^

Submitted

Hi! Are late submissions allowed? 

HostSubmitted

Generally, no. But if you have a good reason you can provide then we might allow it. Are you planning to submit a late submission? If so, why and how late?

Submitted

We had guests in the house the past 2 days but I submitted in time. Thank you for the reply!

Submitted (1 edit)

I have a question! I've composed the piece that I intend to submit, and want to have a friend of mine mix/master it. Would my friend need to officially join the jam as part of my team in order for the piece to be considered, or would it be all right to just credit them in the notes? 

HostSubmitted

You can just credit then in the notes that's fine, since they didn't help with any composing. But ultimately it's also up to you ^^

How do I fix my submission so It includes the playlist? Since I submitted, I finally was able to make a Youtube playlist but I actually can't  find the submission page for the jam specifically

HostSubmitted

You can just click on the “submitted” tag next to your name ^^

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

EDIT: Our gracious host walked me through a late submission and I'm most grateful. I look forward to listening to everyone's stuff!!

Hey, Lone Rabbit! I'm so sorry, but I didn't realize the submission deadline was 10:30am in my time zone... I thought it was PM. I finished the track yesterday but didn't post it because I got home late from a gig!! I'm quite sad I missed it. Is there any way I can still post somewhere? This was my first jam and I'd love to get heard, at least, but I don't care about being entered for prizes. :-) 

Here's a link to the tune, for what it's worth. Thanks for hosting, regardless, and I'll read the fine print next time!